Forum home› Getting pregnant› Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

ICSI/IVF

Hi,

Is anyone on here currently going through ICSI and IVF, or has anyone conceived using ICSI and IVF?

We had our first appointment with the Sister of the unit yesterday, so just have to wait until the 9th May until we can start our first cycle!

Am so excited about it all!! Would love to hear from anyone who has any experience of it all, good and bad, what to expect from the drugs etc.

Thank you ever so much

Lanni

Replies

• Options
    Hi Lanni The first course we did was more stressful than the secand as its all a learning curve. I had to sniff a drug called Synarel for 2 weeks morning and night and i did find that to give me hot flushes, which werent very nice but i got used to it. I was then scanned to see how my body was doing as to shutting down. Then the nervous bit......injections! i am not in the least frightened of needles when someone professional is doing it but we had to do it on our own, i was shitting myself....excuse the pun. we set the needle up and my hubby took the control of it as i didnt think i could press the trigger myself lol. There was nothing to it and got braver as the days went on, then i did them in my stomach which i found a lot easier. I didnt have any side effects from the injections. Then i was scanned again to see if the follicles where growng and they where. So i had a final injection 2 days before egg collection. I was nervous on collection day. When i came round from the sedation my hubby didnt look very happy and then a nurse came to tell me that they didnt get any eggs as i had already ovulated..... well you can imagine how we felt. To get to that point it cost us ??2200. We decided to try again but this time they took a different route, instead of sniffing the Synarel i had to inject 2 different drugs a day. When collection day came again i was having very negative thoughts. When i came round from that one the nurse came to tell us that we had 7 eggs, i was dissappointed as wanted more but they told me they couldnt find my left ovary so 8 was a great result from one ovary. My hubby said his part in this wasnt very good and was worried that he didnt produce enough. lol. The next day we got the long awaited call from the clinic telling us we had 4 that had fertilised and that 2 would go back in the next day. So embryo transfare took place then we wait.......and wait...... then day 13 we couldnt wait anymore and did the test, it was faint but it was there, i thin blue line....i wasnt convinced so did another one...same result, still not sure we went and bought the Clearblue Digital ones the next day and there it was..... a big fat PREGNANT!!! We where so excited. I have 2 boys from a previous marriage who where concieved naturally so to have gone through IVF was different. I'm not going to say it's easy as it's not there are so many emotions running through your bodies at the time and it can put strain on your relationship. You want to blame each other if things dont go according to plan but try not to. Be strong with each other and be there for each other. God don't i go on lol. I wish you lots of good luck with your treatment. If you want to chat more i am here for you!! Nic x