Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What should we eat?Please help!!

Right so it is day 1 of month 6 ttc #1. I am determined to do everything perfect this month so that I feel like I have some control back over my body. If I know I have done evrything possible to increase our chances I won't feel as bad when AF arrives.

Going food shopping later. Please can anyone reccommend any foods that are supposed to be good when ttc. Obviously veggies and fruit and chicken but anything else? Are there particular veggies? Also what should we avoid?

Thank you for your help :\) xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hiya MrsJules, I read that soya meat is actually a mild form of contraceptive so stay away from the pot noodles (I'm sure there are plenty of pregnant vegetarians though!) There is a veg that is meant to increase your fertility, but I can't remember what the hell it was!!! Anyone else know what I'm trying to think of please? Amy x
  • Options
    Not sure, could it be spinach or brocolli? Or is it something unusual? Had a look on web and have a short list of good food that might help. I read that eating full fat icecream and milk can help. Anyone else heard this? x
  • Options
    Didn't know that, but do now-thanks! Think it was something else, but the spinach and brocolli makes sense cause it's full of iron and folic acids got it too hasn't it? amy x
  • Options
    Have just got a book called Fertility foods so will let you know my findings as i go through it. I believe that spinach and broccoli are both excellent and i believe i read somewhere that almonds are also good. Have to be careful though with those because they are high in calories. Any take aways such as chinese and indian are very bad due to the trans fats, also anything with hydrogenated fat is also bad (such as most biscuits). Watch this space, will fill you in as i go along! Best wishes, bluebird xxxx
  • Options
    Thanks Bluebird, bummer about the chinese!! amy x
  • Options
    Thanks Bluebird. Have to stay away from the thai takeaway for a while then. I am chocoholic but staying clear of it this month. Don't think I'm doing anything hugely wrong re diet but it all helps. xxx
  • Options
    Hi Mrs jules

I did hear that your not suppose to have half fat or reduced fat anything in dairy products as your body needs these things whilst ttc.

jen
  • Options
    Hi, you should def be taking folic acid supplements and basically try and eat well -lots of veg and fruit. Cut right down on caffeine go decaf whenever you can, cut out the alcohol and if you smoke cut this out too!
    Can be a good idea to get some advice from your GP if you are unsure, if your iron levels are generally low then taaking pregnacare isn't such a bad idea as it means all the necessary vitamins and minerals are in your diet and it includes folic acid.

Have fun! x
  • Options
    Hi again. Thank you all for the advice. Looks like I've been doing most of it anyway but have clerared the cupboards of any rubbish like biscuits and choccy and stocked up on lots of lovely fresh fruit and veg. I've been taking Pregnacare Plus for about 4 months, never have caffeine, stick to smoothies and peppermint tea mainly. Caffeine makes me ill! I very rarely drink but have cut it out altogether. In the past 6 months I have had three drinks and two of those were at my wedding. I'm a light weight when it comes to alcohol :lol: I don't smoke. Mr Jules was taking a multivit but got him one specially for men.
    Feeling healthier already image It can only do good can't it? Might not help us get pregnant any faster but can't do any harm :\)

Good luck and baby dust xxx