Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

TTC - Newbie!

Hiya!

Well im going to try and log on as much as i can = a popular forum like this got me through wedding planning so I know us girls can pull together during times of need and moans tee hee!!

I just wanted to ask a little question. does anyone know if a withdrawal bleed after finishing a pill, count as a normal period??? or is it just a finishing thing?

I had period on the 20th August, finished my pill about the 3rd (or so) of September - completely random to stop mid pack but hey ho! and then had a 'withdrawal' on teh 9th? So does my withdrawal count? and if so should i expect to come on this weekend? I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOO CONFUSED

x:\?

Replies

• Options
    Hi there - I have read that the first bleed after finishing the pill is a withdrawel bleed. The period after that will be your first a/f - I could be wrong and I may be corrected - but I'm sure thats what I read. It can take anywhere up to 6 months or so to get your periods back to normal but everyones different.
    If you want to check if your ovulating you can buy the ov sticks - but I would just leave it for a month or so and let your body settle down.

There are lots of posts on here about peoples a/f's being delayed after the pill etc - so you'll find lots to read on this subject - I am one of them waiting for my a/f since coming off the pill! Hope this helps!

M

XXXXX
  • Options
    Just wanted to say welcome to the site. image xx
  • Options
    hiya girlies!!
    Well thank you for responding.!! I definately am confirming the knowledge that the first bleed is a withdrawal so i probably would ovulate etc for AGES!! Im just not sure when my a/f will arrive 'should' it be 28 days from withdrawal (if i go back to being regular as i was years ago?) I know if probably wont come but it would be nice to assume when i should expect A/F
    xxxx
  • Options
    Hey Em,

Yeah technically it should be around 28 days after the day your withdrawal bleed starts (Although cycles vary up to 35 days in length). But it may take a little while for your body to settle. When you're on the pill you don't actually ovulate - the artificial oestrogen suppresses the development of the follicle in your ovary which produces an egg. But as soon as you stop taking the pill this process will start. That is why so many women get strange symptoms as the body is producing hormones that haven't been produced for a while and your body may take a bit of getting used to it. The majority of people return to normal within a month or so. I was lucky in that I went straight into a 28 day cycle. So if you count the day your withdrawal started as day 1, you should expect your period on day 28ish.

HTH and good luck,

Rach
  • Options
    Rach46 - Thank you so much for the information, i will look forward to getting a/f this weekend - and if not, by the end of the week --- oooooh i hope it comes. And then i will be happier knowing that i MAY ovulate in October..... ive got sticks and all sorts to test tee hee! Your so knowledgeable im glad i found this site because i really have been confusing myself with all the information ive read

EM x
  • Options
    You're welcome Em, it's only through extensive research and panic that I learnt about it myself as I was terrified when I came off the pill that my body would be all messed up. I hope you're one of the lucky ones!

Rach xx
  • Options
    i hope so too!! Ive heard its better to have a proper cycle anyway because otherwise they cant work the due dates properly... although now there is such a thing as a dating scan... my sister in law is going for hers soon and apparently they are completely accurate!
  • Options
    Just wanted to say hi as this is my first time on here!! Came off the pill in August and TTC!!! Been using the ov sticks but nothing yet. Not sure yet of my cycle so am guessing at the mo'. Was on the pill for about 5 years so i guess it takes a while for your body to get its cycle back......i'm really impatient tho......!!
    Nat x