Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Conception other than during ovulation..

I'm totally new to the world of babies and this may sound like a completely naive question but here goes. Did anyone or anyone you know of conceieve on a day other than when they were ovulating - is it possible to do so?

Thanks in advance ladies..

Replies

• Options
    Ive been wondering the same thing.

i did google that Q. and it told me that it is possible to conceive at ANY time through out your cycle, its just that during ov that its most likely as your most fertile ...

hope that helps xx
  • Options
    Hi Marigold,

Welcome! I'm fairly new myself (still on the pill actually but going to start to try to conceive from the end of this month). My understanding is your egg only has a shelf life of about 24-48 hours (if that) so pretty much you can only conceive at the time of ovulation (and 24 hours or so after that). But sperm can hang around for a few days... so if you've had sex a couple days before ov then you can still get pregnant.

Hope this helps (and is accurate!) Others will correct me if I'm wrong!

Sonia
  • Options
    Thanks RagMalf - it's an area that I'm confused about as I've also done a bit of research on-line and have come up with two opinions about it. Just thought someone on here might have first hand experience of becoming pregnant during a different part of their cycle. It seems such a small window of opportunity. It's all new to me and I didn't quite realise how strategic getting pregnant was! x
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Just thought that I should get myself educated before starting to try - we've just got married and suddenly the urge to start a family had really kicked in.
  • Options
    Its so frustrating too. we're on our 5 cycle and still nothing!!

I have bn doc and he's done blood test and found out theres nothing wrong so its just a waiting game...Welcome and good luck xxx
  • Options
    hi. i have been trying for second tot since march and decided not to test my ovulation. didn't really like knowing the small window when it was most likely i would concieve as made sex at any other time feel a bit pointless ( When ttc all you care about is the sperm i'm afraid!!) the best advice a doc would give you is just to have lots of sex all month, about every two to three days so that whenever you ovulate there will be sperm ready and waiting!!!
  • Options
    Yes its hard to know exactly when you ovulate. But sperm can live up to 5 days or so, and so you can actually get pregnant even if you don't have BD on the day you ovulate. So if you ovulate on day 14 and have BD on day 9 you may still get pregnant. the most fertile days are actually having BD on the day before you ovulate since the sperm will be waiting for the egg. i hope that helps and good luck