Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hayfever remedies? some info on cm too!

hi i have hayfever at the mo which is killing me!! i have had to use a nasal spray or else i cant function at work its that bad i also use a decongestant alongside it to clear my nose so i can breathe and not be inpain. i have seen threads saying people wont use them but i cant find it now! is there any reason? i know decongestants can dry up cm is this the reason with antihistamiines? im waiting for my EWCM so i know ive ov will it not come now? am on cd 25 of another messed up cycle i think!!!! xxx:?

[Modified by: hayleys1 on 04 March 2008 21:14:54 ]

Replies

• Options
    so spooky hyley. i have been wondering the same thing. luckily i'm not suffering at the moment. i normally get it around may so not looking forward to it..

i used to take a herbal remedy when i was younger but the shop i got it from closed so went back to normal pills. it was called pulsatilla i think. could be worth trying
  • Options
    hi kar i suffer so bad that my face hurts my teeth hurt etc and i get it from now until summer! not actually too bad from summer its awful i have asthma so it affects that.
    i dont think i could stop taking it due to the suffering but i did wonder about ttc x
  • Options
    i'm not sure about ttc but i have heard that antihist's should be avoided in pg but not sure why.

I get it from may until end of june then nothing for the rest of the summer either. i hve to use nasal spray, tablets and eye drops. i often feel really crap, like i have a cold and the itching eyes send me barmy
  • Options
    like you want to sctratch them out!!!! yeah like a bad cold but affect everything!!
  • Options
    yip. sometimes i think that my eyes are going to run out of my head and sometimes wish they would cos they would stop itching.

how you holding up with the anticipation of poas?
  • Options
    I think that nasal preparations were ok because they are localised to the nasal passages and don't really enter the system like an antihistamine pill. Think i used these when pg and also eye drops.
    Filo x
  • Options
    hi just googled it here are the results!!!

When attempting to become pregnant you suddenly have an awareness of your cervical mucus. If you dont seem to have much cervical mucus or you just dont believe that yours is of the fertile variety there are some things that you can do. The ideal cervical mucus for fertilization is thin, clear, slippery, and of an egg white consistency. If the mucus is too thick or too dry it does not work well to protect the sperm as it makes its way through the vagina and cervix into the uterus and then into the fallopian tubes.

There are some very basic things that you can do to create more fertile cervical mucus. The first is to drink more water and decrease or do away with the caffeine in your diet. If you take antihistamines you will want to stop taking them or reduce the amount that you take because these not only dry up the sinuses, they also dry up your cervical mucus! Increasing your fluid intake and doing away with caffeine and antihistamines will likely make your cervical mucus be much more fertile so that you have a better chance of becoming pregnant.

If increased fluids, a reduction in caffeine, and limiting or doing away with your antihistamines doesnt seem to provide an improvement in the fertile quality of your cervical mucus you may want to try Evening Primrose Oil. Evening Primrose Oil has been used for generations to help increase cervical mucus and many women swear that it is the only reason that they were able to get pregnant. The oil has essential fatty acids among other properties that aide the body in producing more high quality cervical mucus. You can take 1500mg to 3000mg daily, but this should only be taken from menstruation until ovulation as it is known to cause uterine contractions which could prevent a fertilized egg from implanting properly.

hope this helps although slightly off the subject!!!
  • Options
    ok. so we are ok with drops and sprays. will have to take up a hobby to take our minds off the hayfever. or just live in a bubble:lol:
  • Options
    i cant do it anymore all the nose sprays are causing my nose to bleed so going to have to resort to hayfever tablets for the time being im worried im damaging my nose!!!! it never normally bleeds so off to the docs again!