Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Newbie - just off the pill - concerns!

Hi girls,

I came off the pill after my last AF 5 weeks ago - in time for my wedding. I guess we were secretly hoping I might get pregnant on honeymoon - but instead, I have come back from honeymoon with stomach cramps, hard bloated tummy and really bad night 'heats' - to the point where my DH is sleeping at the edge of the bed feeling the heat radiate off me!

I've since read on the web that it can take up to six months to even get a normal cycle. If I had been on the pill, I would have had my AF by now - but nothing is happening.

I know its probably too soon to worry, but I also read that the first 3 months after coming off the pill you are supposed to be at your most fertile. Well how can I be if I'm not ovulating??

I guess just like everyone on here I just want to get back to normal - and I'm worried that it might take longer than I thought. Plus having been on the pill for 20yrs or so - am worried that that might have an effect on my fertility - not only that, but I'm 35?.

Thanks for any advice girls - am a complete newbie, so not sure about everything.

Kx

Replies

• Options
    Hi welcome Koi

Yes ive heard that the first few months off the pill is suppose to be your most fertile. I have been off mycrogynon for nearly 7months and so far im not pregnant. Although you havent had your af there is a chance you could still ov but if your worried i would make an appointment with your dr.
    Goodluck.

jen xx
  • Options
    Hi K,

I'm probably not the best person to reply - as I may not fill you with much joy - but remember everyone is different!

I came off microgynon and had a period at 6 weeks after my last pill - I was a nightmare, sore boobs, moody, crying all the time, and really hot at night too! I then got my a/f then after that nothing! I have been waiting since for my second a/f - that was 20 weeks ago! But most women on here have returned to normal you may not be like me at all so I don't want/mean to sound negative or anything!!

I have had 5 days of cramps about a month ago but nothing since!

Everyones different but it can tale 6months to a year to settle down, or it can come back straight away!
    I'm going to start some reflexology sessions to see if that helps!
    I hope this helps and I don't sound too negative! Keep positive and I'm sure your a/f will arrive soon!!!

Love

• Options
    hi hun welcome i have been off pill for 3 months now i have had af 2 months waiting for 3rd af this month i tried ov sticks this month but all were negative. every body is diffrent when they come off pill i would try ov sticks then at least you know if you ov or not good luck hun xx
  • Options
    Hiya
    I was on the pill for 8 years and came of it just before my wedding this year I had 3 normal periods all 5 weeks apart.
    then this month it hasnt came so i have been waiting 7wks, I agree with everyone else everyone is different hope you are one of the lucky ones xx
  • Options
    Hi,

Just to give you some more positive news I was on microgynon for about 9 years, I came off it in January and we waited two months before ttc. My periods came back straight away to a 28 day cycle and I fell pregnant the first month of ttc!!!
    Everyone is different, try your best not to stress about it (easier said than done!) as this doesn't help and can actually delay your af itself. Have you taken a pregnancy test? I tested when I was one day late as I had been spot on every other month and the test gave me a BFN. I didn't feel pregnant, had all my normal af symptoms of sore boobs, feeling bloated, period type cramps. Af still hadn't arrived 4 days later so I did another test and it was positive!!! I was totally shocked as I too had read it could take up to 6 months and I really didn't feel pregnant. I'm now nearly 28 weeks pregnant.
    Also the only thing I noticed after coming off the pill was that my periods were heavier and that I had worse period pains, I didn't have any other problems.

Fingers crossed you get a BPF really soon!! xx
  • Options
    hiya girls.
    Well i dont know if anyone is the same as me but i have read EVERY single article to try and work out what goes on with our bodies!!! EEEEK!
    I can off my pill in August .... had a withdrawal bleed 9th September - didnt ovulate - I tested using sticks and now im due on (Sunday) so im praying that i will come on if anything in the hope that i will have 'normal' periods. its so depressing!!!!! How do these women get caught being on the pill let alone coming off it!!!!

After ten years of the pill im so worried that its going to take us months!!!! But i feel a little better that im not alone with my crazy obessive ovulation charts and tests lol
    xxx
  • Options
    Thanks SO much for your replies - it really helps to hear everyone else's experiences. Just seems like such a mine field!

I guess it doesn't help that I just feel so hormonal at the moment - weepy for no apparent reason and feeling permanently pre-menstrual.

I just hope it all gets back to normal soon - am trying to remain positive!

Good luck to all of you (and congratulations LizB) - and thanks again for your kind words xxx
  • Options
    Hi,
    Just wanted to give you some more positive news. I stopped taking the pill at the end of July after 13 years. I took 5 weeks for my first a/f to arrive and at that stage I was already in a panic! So I read up on it all and realised that it would take at least 6 months to sort itself out, so I went out and bought myself all the kit so I could at least try and work out my cycles. Anyway my a/f was due on Monday just gone, but it didnt show and my boobs were so sore I decided to do a test, i got a BFP!!!
    I am so happy and over the moon, not to mention totally shocked!
    Got my first doctors appointment in half an hour and really nervous, keep worrying that I might have imagined it all.
    Good Luck and keep positive, sometimes it just happens!

xx
  • Options
    Hi Koi,

I'd do a pg test to start with as your symptoms could be that - cramps, bloating and a rise in body temp. But also it could be your body adjusting. i came off Femodene pill in June and had my first period a month later and ever since they have been every 28-30 days, so it doesn't affect everyone badly. My main prob with coming off the pill, from past experience, is getting very bad skin. So i started taking a supplement and it's been fine. I'm now on day 28, so keeping my fingers crossed.

It might be worth taking an evening primrose or starfower oil supplement to help settle your hormones if your not pg.

HTH

Rach
  • Options
    I love that we have a positive story!!! it could happen girles - any time!!!! That made me feel quite relaxed... i honestly thought for a while that i could ovulate immediately after a withdrawal bleed, and maybe am still a little confused as to how people fall pregnant ON the pill -this happened to me when i was a lot younger, but i lost the baby.

I am still confused as to what a withdrawal actually signifies if it isnt a a/f...?? is sooooo confusing... also - i noted not a lot of you ladies have even mentioned a withdrawal after finishing the pill? or am i just the lucky one whose body responded to not taking the pill asap?

xxx

[Modified by: EM23 on October 04, 2007 10:46 AM]
  • Options
    Hi Em23, I didn't have a withdrawal bleed I just went straight back to a regular cycle once I came off the pill.

Some other advice I was given before coming off the pill was to start taking a multivitamin for pregnant ladies such as pregnacare as this makes sure your iron levels are ok which can affect your af. It also has the right amount of folic acid in it which is important too.

Liz xx
  • Options
    NooQ that's fantastic news - hope the Doc appt went well! So good to hear being on the pill for a long length of time hasn't had a negative effect.

Rach46 - how fab you returned to a normal cycle immediately after coming off the pill - I'm just hoping mine will do the same.

Keeping fingers crossed for everyone xx
  • Options
    thank you for the vitamin head up.... im taking folic acid.

My Sister in law had her coil removed in Aug and fell pregant three days later! So its a bit of a comparison going on in my head which i guess is making me feel it should happen when really it doesnt matter when plus she is dying for us to have cousins months apart - but i know fate will provale!

SO the withdrawal bleed COULD have counted as an a/f? how do we tell the difference? or how do we know which is which?

I am glad there are some success stories for girls who have been on the pill for what seems like forever, it really is giving me some positive thoughts...
    xxx

[Modified by: EM23 on October 04, 2007 12:17 PM]
  • Options
    Hello Ladies,
    So nice to hear both that so many people are in the same place as me, and that there are some happy positive stories out there to keep us all going!
    I came off the pill end June after 15years (eek!) and had a kind of withdrawal bleed straight afterwards, and have had nothing but a few days of spotting since. I went into ttc with such false high expectations having had so many friends conceive straight away, and that just leaves me feeling like the wierdo, its so nice to hear that its very normal.
    It is frustrating not knowing if you are ovulating or not. I've got my thermometer out now and have bought ovulation sticks but it does feel like trying to find a needle in a haystack with no idea where my cycle has gone! Unfortunately now my husband is away for a month so everything is on hold anyway. I'm off to the docs soon so maybe that will shed some more light on the subject!
    Fingers crossed for all of you ladies, spirits up and keep practising!
    Buzzie x

• Options
    Hi Koi,

I came off the pill march 06 and had a period but hen the next month nothing and the next and the next. I was still doing pregnancy tests cos obviously without missing a period i didnt really know if i was pregnant or not. I went to the doctors July 06 and he said that it can take any where from 6months to a yr for your body to get back to normal after coming off the pill. Then september 06 my boobs were killing me and i was ridiculously tired so i thought i would do a test, expecting it to come back neg i left it in the bathroom, went back up and saw a line and was in complete shock!!! Went to work and did another one and positive again...then finished work early cos i felt so ill and bought the tests that spell it our for you and it said pregnant! And now i have a gorgeous lil boy called Joshua who is 20 weeks old on monday!

So in a long winded way just cos you dont have a period it doesnt necesarily mean youre not ovulating, good luck to you all, i cant really imagine how many of you feel but just those 5 months when the tests came back neg was hard enough for me, good luck girls love Vicky and Joshua xxx
  • Options
    Wow Vicky3 - I had absolutely no idea that you can still be ovulating without actually having periods - the more I learn, the more I realise the less I know about my body!

Fabulous news about Joshua - you must have been blown away.

EM23 - you're absolutely right - I guess it can happen anytime. I saw a friend last night who had got pg 2 wks from coming off the pill - she was gutted though as it was a couple of months before her wedding!! Just goes to show.....

I'm on the folic acid with omega 3 and off the caffeine - so shall just hope my time comes soon.

Love to you all Kx