Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

can i go to dentist?!!!

Hey everyone. just wanted some advice cos i have a few months of dental appointments recently and they keep forcing me to test early! My next appointment will be during the week my af is due and i would like to no if there is any risk to have injections and stuff if poss pregnant? Last month an impending appointment made me test early. it was bfn but then i don't no wether its a true result or just too early. Don't like the uncertainty and want to hold off testing this month as would rather wait for af than have a bfn as so upsetting!! Any advice appreciated. love rebecca

Replies

• Options
    hi, why dont you give drs or dentist a ring and check with them , think it should be ok as dental care is recommended when pregnant.
    good luck and hope af stays away, im testing this weekend!!
    love becs xx
  • Options
    do not put off any dental work!my teeth wobbled like crazy toward the end of my pregnancy and my crowns fell out.i refused to smile in the first pics took of me + baby as i was gappy it was really upsetting.just let dentist know there is possibility of pregnancy and seek advice from docs too.
  • Options
    Hi,

Im a qualified dental nurse, I know that, although the risk to the unborn baby is minimal in the second trimester, dentists would mostly wait till the baby is born before undertaking invasive treatment.
    remember, you get free dental treatment from an NHS dentist for the length of your modernity leave anyway!!
  • Options
    free dental care on nhs while pregnant + for 1yr after is a myth.because i was working before i was pregnant i visited a private dentist.i suffered extreme sickness during pregnancy so was unable 2 work + was sacked from work as consequence.i rang my dentist to ask if i could use my nhs card and was told i had to register with nhs dentist.i did this and was put on waiting list.when my crowns fell out i went to emergency densist who proceed to clean up the area to stick the crown back in even though there was exposed nerve.i was screaming in agony as was given nothing to numb mouth.i was 42 wks pregnant at time (2 wks over due)the crown was stuck back in (wonky)and fell out the next day.i went back was put through agony again.i was in tears after as when looked in the mirror looked like a vampire and tooth wobbled still.it fell out 1hr later and i was told there was nothing else they could do.i could not afford to attend another dentist.i was offered an nhs dentist 1yr after birth of baby when i was no longer entitled 2 free treatment.how convenient.i was left toothless at front of mouth for 6 months until i could afford private i had to save maternity pay i felt should have gone 2 my child.the nhs need to get their act together.i have paid into the system for years and should have got decent quality case when i needed it! :x