Forum home› Getting pregnant› Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

can I ask some more questions - otk / rhesus neg

Hi sorry to be a pain just want to get as much info and advice as possible. Firstly are Ovulation testing kits worth it? Im just concerned i'll get through a pack in a month as I'll keep getting a neg result and it will be an expensive monthly purchase?

Also I'm Rhesus Negative and was given an anti-d injection after my miscarriageabout a year ago. The nurse said i will need another 1 after I give birth (if i get pg) do I need one before i start trying? bit worried as I have already started trying - didn't really think about it!

thanks if you can help. x

[Modified by: funkymonkey83 on 03 October 2007 12:13:36 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi there

I'm also Rhesus Negative and spoke with my GP before TTC. She said that I did not need any treatment whatsoever on starting TTC, but if I get pg and the pregnancy finishes (either through miscarriage or the baby being born at full term) I would then need the anti-d injection.

Hope that helps! xx

You've had the correct treatment so far, so it sounds as though you are completely on top of it.

• Options
    hi im using ov sticks not had a positive this month tho and on day 19 so ive stopped testing for this month i bought my sticks from e bay 25 for 4.98 delivered so its not that expensive but it is if you buy them from shops good luck hun xx
  • Options
    Hiya, I am rh neg and am nearly 39 weeks pregnant, You dont need the anti-d before you start ttc. Ive already had to lots of anti-d...one at 28 weeks and one at 32 weeks, will have one more after birth. x
  • Options
    Hi Samantha

Can I ask - how do they know you need anti-d? Do you have extra scans or anything?

Thanks & good luck with the birth! xx
  • Options
    I just found out a couple of weeks ago I'm rh negative (took them forever to get the bloods right!!) Weeza - they do blood tests at 12 weeks to determine your blood type.

You have the injections at 28/29 weeks and again at 34/35 weeks and if the baby is rh positive then another one after the birth - I think its within 48 hours. You don't need one before that if there are no problems. Also, I miscarried as well last year early on but because it was so early that wouldn't have caused any problems.

We are actually waiting on hubbys blood type results to find out if I'll need the anti-d as if he is also rhesus negative then they aren't necessary. I think my mw thinks I'm stupid for wanting to find out rather than just having the injections but I don't want to have a whole bunch of injections, which do carry a risk although very small, unless its necessary - we want 2-3 kids which could be as many as 9 injections and I don't agree with unnecessary medication.

I had a long conversation about rhesus negative and anti-d injections with my med student friend and he calls the anti-d injections one of medicines great success stories image

• Options
    I'm confused but it doesn't take much to confuse me lol. I'm rhesus neg an had the injection when i miscarried and after having my daughter but not while I was pregnant should I have???
    Not sure what blood group O/H is do we need to find out defore we have another bundle of joy??

Thanks Helen :\?
  • Options
    The way I understand it - you should have the injections when you are pregnant.

Finding out oh's blood group is a personal choice really - you could stick with having the injections to be on the safe side - but personally I prefer to only be medicated when necessary so want to know if hubby is rhesus negative. I think the mw's prefer to just inject people cause they can guarantee the mother of the baby but they can't guarantee the father of the baby

chances are though you'll have to pay for a blood test for oh - we were told we'd have to but apparently the blood lab people said we dind't have to pay cause it was a test for antenatal reasons. Hubby was vague when he said why he wanted a blood test though - just said we needed to know urgently because of my pregnancy and i needed to tell the midwife so dunno if the vagueness had anything to do with them doing it for free.. the docs surgery and midwife had said we'd have to pay.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this question and for the brilliant answers. I've been confused about the subject of being a rh neg O blood type too but feel more informed now. Going to get DH to GP for a blood test.
    xx
  • Options
    Free blood test when you give blood - that's how OH and I found our blood types (he's rhesus +ve)

Get the men down the blood bankimage
  • Options
    We would have tried the free blood test for hubby but we didn't have time really cause it took them 3 trys and 13 weeks to sort mine out, plus he'd tried to give blood once before and they told him to go away cause of his asthma!!
  • Options
    I found out my blood type through givning blood but no way would I be able to convince Hubby to give blood. The chicken. lol xx