Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

possible spanner in the works

Hi All

I could do with a bit of advice and opinions.

I work in a college as a PA and have just returned from maternity leave, before I went off I was working in a different office to the one I'm in now but within the same section, the reason they gave me for moving me was that 2 days after I came back the girl in this office was going off to start her maternity leave (very handy timing!!) I asked the question about what happens when the other girl comes back, would I go back to my original office? they have now decided that they could make some reductions within the area as technically they will have been one member of staff down for nearly 2 years as they did not have any cover for me when I was off for 12 months. So they have basically told me, the girl who has just started maternity leave and another girl that works in our office that in 10 -12 months time when she is ready to come back they will have to review things and they cannot guarantee anyone's jobs.

Now my original plan was that we were going to start TTC baby number 2 around July which would mean that I could be expecting from around April onwards which is around the time the other girl will be due back, so what if I get made redundant then, I'm the main breadwinner in our house and get a brilliant maternity policy which we would heavily rely on for us to be able to have another baby. So would you risk it and go ahead?. The thing I keep thinking to myself is if I'm ready to go off on maternity when the other girl is due to come back maybe they'll do the same thing as they have done and replace me with her and then look at it again when I'm due to come back which would be fine by me cos then I'll have had my leave and I can try and get another job if needs be. Arrggh so annoying when you have everything worked out and then something happens to make you have to rethink it all!!!

Sorry for the rant and also well done if you managed to make it to the end and make sense of it all