Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What would you do?

I am very broody and have been for a year or so and really would like some outside opinions on our choices and what would be for the best. For background: I'm 30; hubby and I overseas but want to move back to the UK in the next 12-18 months once we have saved enough for a home there (it will take at least that long to save up so can't move any sooner realistically); my BMI for the last few years has been 27-29 which is high and I gained a LOT of weight since the start of this year which means my BMI has shot up to 33 which is awful and I'd need to lose about 3-4 stone to get in the 'healthy' range at least; my own mother, her mother and apparently her sisters all went through menopause early at around 40 or a bit before; I told my doctor and she recommended I start trying BY 31-31.5yrs (ie before or around or uk move timeframe).

I keep going over and over the option (having baby here then moving, waiting until get to uk, etc) and it's driving me crazy. I don't want to wait because I am worried I will miss the boat entirely give all the family history but on the otherhand we need to get settled in UK (esp me in job and for long enough that I will get SMP, etc and maybe even be able to return PT). If hubby gets okay job I think we could manage without SMP if careful though if I don't have job it would mess up our mortgage opportunities. Plus I am overweight so that would make pregnancy difficult right now. But I really don't want to wait and have all that in place and then find out I waited too long and can't conceive at all!

Also hubby and I had decided late last year that we'd start TTC in Dec2011 and we were very happy with that. But this year we decided we really want to move back to the UK so all our plans have changed as you can see! Now I am so confused. Hubby is conflicted too because I keep bringing it up and he is focusing on our savings and having a secure future for us.

What would you do if you were me?

Replies

• Options
    ohhhh that's a tough one image

One thing is things are rarely all perfect. The problem is that if you wait to come back to the UK and get a job you would then have to wait till you would get your SMP etc. If you could do it without needing the money maybe that is the thing to do...but...if you are having to save to get back to the UK you don't want to put extra pressure on yourself!

It's very difficult...I responded partly because I didn't want to read and run. Really you have to think about how it works for you image
  • Options
    Totally g/c but we waited because of finances then realised there never will be a good time so started trying, good job we did because it took 2 years to have a successful pregnancy then I lost my job whilst on maternity because the owner died so I have ended up with no SMP anyway, currently rowing with HMRC trying to get it back but that is a whole other story. You need to decide whether you are happy with the possiblity that you may never have children (it sounds as though that may be the case in your particular circumstances) and if you are then wait but if you are not then start trying and go on a diet at the same time xx good luck xx
  • Options
    I appreciate you commenting littlebunny. I am just going around and around with this one and can't decide what is the "best" option. If I could see into the future and know I would be okay conceiving when back in the UK and settled and that we won't have any issues on that front I would do that as most sensible plan...but obviously I have no idea on the future! Ah well - yet more thinking it over and chatting to hubby (I think I am stressing him out with it now too as mentioning so frequently!)
  • Options
    oh i just read your post socks (think it came when I was responding to littlebunny)...i feel quite teary reading it because it's a really honest way to look at it isn't it. I can say that no I am not happy with the prospect that I may never have children - it scared me to death (though I know husband and I would have a good life I also know I will always be wondering 'what if'). The taking ages to conceive also worries me - hubby worried incase we fall in first few months and I'm worried it will take us years!

ps: good luck with your hmrc fight