Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is everyone taking folic acid??

hello ladies

Just a quick one - is everyone taking folic acid???

I've only just been told I should be taking it! Wish I had known earlier. How long does it take to start working its magic?

Is it essential???

THANKS!!!

Replies

• Options
    Sporty Girl - as far as I am aware folic acid can help prevent birth abnormalities, particularly neural ones. It doesn't, as far as I am aware, have any effect on TTC. But someone correct me if I am wrong! Folic acid is recommended while TTC as the nervous system is formed early on so it's best to already have it in your system, just in case you don't realise your pregnant IYSWIM.

PP X
  • Options
    I've realised I didn't answer your Q, sorry. Yes I am but I am bit forgetful and often don't remember every day. I eat healthily so I figure I'll get some from my food as well.

PP X
  • Options
    Hello there, yes I have been taking it since I stopped taking the pill. With my first child we were not trying and I wasn't taking folic acid but I do eat alot of marmite and you get it in that and other foods, so I started taking it as soon as I got my bfp and my little girl is perfect. I want to make sure and take it for the recommended three months prior to pregnancy this time.x
  • Options
    Hi, I didn't take it first time as didn't know I was PG so took it as soon as I found out.

this time took it when came off the pill xx
  • Options
    I sometimes forget to take it but i try to take it everyday.. with my first i didn't take any at first because i didn't know i was pg.. image
  • Options
    Hi. With my first i took it as soon as i found out i was pg. This time ttc i started taking it daily, now 10 months in I forget it most of the time. between the folic acid and the vit b complex for my short lp. I was starting to feel like i rattle when i move!! image
  • Options
    I started taking it when 1st ttc but now 14 months down the line I've got out the habit.