Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Experience of stopping depo injection

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had experience of being on the depo 3 month injection, and then stopping?

Mine runs out next month (been on it for years) and then I am hoping to get my periods back into a routine as would like to fall pregnant by November/ December 2012.

My nurse tells me it could take a year, and I know everyone is different.. but would be interested to hear advice from anyone who has been on the injection. Thanks!

Replies

• Options
    Hi there,

i was on the depo for years. My periods never returned properly and it took 18 months to concieve after my last injection. x
  • Options
    I had my last depo injection in march this year and have so far had 4 28/29 day cycles in a row, so had one in sept, then 28/29 days later had one in oct, same nov and again same dec and due on end of this week, so i think that is classed as being back regular! i would say it took 6 months after having last depo or couple of months to get out of systerm but i think i could be a very lucky person. we are not ttc now so although afs are back to normal ( a bit heavier but regular sorry if tmi) obv i dont know how long it would take to concieve.

xx
  • Options
    It took me 3 months to get my periods back. We didn't ttc until a year later though. I fell on the first month of ttc x
  • Options
    Many thanks for all your replies and experiences.

My nurse told me that everyone is different but said it could take up to a year to get them back.

Ideally I would like to fall pregnant in Nov/Dec (this year). Fingers crossed! Good luck to all of you who are also trying. image xx
  • Options
    I stopped the injection December 2009, my periods came back in march on a 2 week cycle! The doctor told me it was unlikely that I was ovulating so we stopped using protection in June and I was pregnant six weeks later!

Hx
  • Options
    i was on depo for 4 years(came off for a break when a long term relationship ended) and when i came of i had nothing for 6 months then period every other week for 6 months then i went on the pil to try and get regular again. my friend was also on it when she came off everything just went straight back to normal so like you say we are all different.