Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Nrw to ovulation kits...any tips?

Just bought some ovulation test sticks from amazon (didn't go for the clearblue digital ones as they were so expensive for only 7 sticks and the cheaper ones on amazon got such good reviews and there was 30 in a pack...thought I would try these first).

Just wanted to know how many people had used Ov test kits and have they been successful for u? What's the best time of day to test?

How many times a day did u test? (only having read that the egg can live for as little as 12hours, could I miss it??)

Replies

• Options
    Hi mrscoxuk

I have been using one of those kits for the past 2 months. Did yours come with a thermometer?

I think they give some guidance in the pack on what day to start testing, as it depends on the length of your cycle.

I think that testing in the evening is supposed to be beter, and some people say you are not supposed to have drank anything for a while beforehand, but I didn't even realise that! I tested in the evening having had a few cups of tea beforehand and got a clear positive on day 14 of my cycle. So it seemed to work fine for me! Although I got my positive on CD14, I think I actually ov on CD16 due to temperature changes. Apparently the positive test doesn't mean you are currently OV, but that it could happen in the next couple of days. That seemed to be the case with me.

Good luck with it all!

One tip though- try not to become obsessive about it- I have fallen for that one! It's good to know when you are OV, but if you worry too much about temps and cervical mucus and dates etc.. it will probably mean you are not very relaxed!
  • Options
    I got some cheap ones from Amazon too, been testing for the last 2 weeks, since about day 8 of my cycle i think, but they've not had any positive result yet. not sure if that is because I'm not yet ovulating as I've just come off the pill or if they just don't work!! Will let you know if they do! Mine say to test mid afternoon for best results, but that's not so practical when you're at work, so I do mine as soon as I get in. Good luck with yours, keep us posted if they work!
  • Options
    i got some cheap ones from amazon for about ??5 for 30 (i got 3 lots) with green writing on them i think they where called one step. I got them mainly because i didn't think i was ovulating so after 80 days without a positive result and no AF i really though this was the case. then to my surprise i got a positive my husband was away at the time so no chance of BFP but i did have AF 12 days later so at least i knew i ovulated. This month i was only 20 days into my cycle when i got the positive result. I got my postive LH surge over 2 days we had sex on the second and we are now pregnant. I was testing at about 5pm every day which is when i get home from work. the ones i had said that OV would occur 24 - 36 hours after a positive result so with this in mind even if LH surge had started the eveing before and i had missed it i would still have picked it up before ovulation. good luck getting your BFP.
  • Options
    I got the cheap one step ones off amazon as well. Admittedly, my cycles ar crazy, and I don't ov predictably (hence the ov sticks...), but that brand doesn't work for me. Because I'm on clomid I have blood monitoring, and while boots and tescos ov sticks picked ovulation up, I've only ever got negatives with the one step ones.

So if no joy- try a different brand

Gd luck.
  • Options
    I used the CB ones from Chemist Direct (online). I bought the larger pack for pretty much what you would pay for the smaller pack in a shop, and got my BFP on the second month (ordinarily I wouldn't bother but I had an MC in May and after that my cycles became erratic. I had fallen PG 3 times in 1-2 months and then when my cycles got messed up it just wasn't happening, so I wanted a clearer picture fo when I was OVing)

The instructions told me which day to begin testing (although I kind of had to work this out myself as to whether to base it on my normal cycle length, which was now erratic) and they also suggest when to test. I used to test with FMU, although I know some of the brands don't recommend that.

When you get a positive, it means that OV is due to happen within about 48 hours so you have a bit of notice! x