Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Folic Acid

Hi ladies

So hubby has said that we can start ttc no2 soon - he has just started a new job so wants to settle in first.

I remember taking folic acid when I was ttc but I can't remember when it is recommended to start taking folic acid. Do you wait until pregnant or do you start when you ttc?

Replies

• Options
    Start when your TTC up until 12 wks of pregnancy. Good luck x
  • Options
    Yay, congratulations!! image

As already said I think you are meant to start when ttc up to 12wk mark in pregnancy but must confess I haven't been taking any..... Bad mummy.... Really should go buy some but at the rate hubby sands I are going it could be a while before we get our bfp lol.

Xx
  • Options
    Ideally should be taking it for at least 3 months before you conceive, bryony you need to get on it asap! I'd been taking it for well over a year so yes you could end up taking it for a long time but it's so important! xx
  • Options
    I know, I really should go buy some Sian.... I'll get some tomorrow image

Hope you're keeping OK, has your bfp sunk in yet?? Xx
  • Options
    My husband went and got me some. Think he is more broody than I am!

Had implanon out last week, and hubby wants to do a test already!

He is way too enthusiastic....but I love it : )

Good luck ladies.
  • Options
    ooo best start taking it now then!! x
  • Options
    because i'm overweight and have had a previous mc i have to take a big dose of folic acid every day prescribed from the gp, i'm not too sure how long i have to keep taking it for if i do get pregnant though haha! x
  • Options
    Are people taking other suppliments or just folic acid.

One of my friend's mentioned she was taking additional pregancy vitamins...

Any advice? Or stick to Folic Acid?
  • Options
    Last time I do remember taking some sanatogen conceive vitains actually now that you mention it. Hubby was taking them too actually.

• Options

Any updates ladies?

• Options

no update from me really, been taking pregnacare conception for the last 3 weeks or so and am currently hiding from the witch lol.... not sure how often Snugglenush comes on here tbhimage xx

xx

• Options

My partner and I are TTC (5mths now) and we started taking Pregnacare His&Her conception a year ago now so get going! Amazon is good pricewise for things like that or I read yesterday that Asda is giving Foli Acid supplement away free!

• Options

Dollie Doodle, for free? Do you have to go in? I would like that!

We have only been TTC for two months...might test tomorrow!

• Options

Hi! I'm back! Started taking the foic acid about a month ago and we will be officially ttc next cycle  . . . which is only about a week away! AF due next Friday. Been using the pulling out method though so always that slight chance lol!!

x

• Options
    Hi I've tacken quite a few diffrent ones over the last few years I took the pregnancy care ones then went over to sanatgen ones but the othere day in boots I couldn't decide which ones to buy so I picked up boots own brand which was half the price as pregnacy care and when looking on the back of the boots one they more or less had the same ingrediants in so I'm trying the boots ones at onley ??3.99 a go. X
  • Options

Hi Claire531,

I'm not sure how you obtain them! I read it in a parenting magazine and it just said that there is a huge drive for mums to be to take folic acid asap from TTC up to 12wks and that Asda was supporting this by issuing free folic acid so that everyone could obtain it. Might be worth checking out their website or ask at your local store?

• Options
    The up to twelve weeks thing,does that mean you're meant to stop at twelve weeks?Or it's just not as important after twelve weeks and you don't have to take it then?
  • Options

Not sure but I didn't carry on after 12 weeks. 

• Options
    It won't do any harm to keep takin it after 12 weeks but it's important for the formation of the spine and that will be complete by 12 weeks so it's not necessary iyswim. X
  • Options

I agree i think up to 12wks is vital to prevent spinabifida and ensure healthy bone development and after that it is down to you as an individual. I intend to carry on with the Pregnacare range from TTC to after birth when I get that far! Just to ensure my body is getting all the help and support it can do and the same for the baby when I get there! It is down to the individual what they do you read some women who take supplements from start to finish and others that don't take anything at all!