Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone else have trouble with OPKs?

Hi ladies, I am on cycle 5 of ttc and have got internet cheapie OPKs this month. Due to a family wedding I didn't start taking the them until CD12 and a couple of them were a bit later in the evening due to not getting home very early but I am CD17 today and no sign of a positive, not even a faint line. I had loads of EWCM and some pinching pains on CD10 and 11 and so I'm wondering if I ovulated early and missed it. Luckily we dtd over those days! My cycles haven't been very regular since coming off pill.

Do others find it hard testing early enough in the day? I don't think I can really do it at work due to small toilet cubicles where I'd worry others were wondering what I was doing! I try to do it when I get in at 5.30pm and try not to drink the last few hours at work.

Also, can they go from a negative to positive suddenly? I was expecting the lines to gradually get darker. Sorry for all the questions, I was hoping the OPKs would make it easier and less stressful this month but its more complicated than I thought!

Baby dust to all! x

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

I have used one step tests for some time (cheapie of Internet) I don't get any line until day before positive. I often test at different times of day because of work shifts.

How long is your cycle usually? It could be that you ov early and it was missed or you haven't ov'd yet.

I ov on cd16/17 and only have a 26 day cycle.

Some people just don't get on with opks, maybe use them along side temping.

Andix
  • Options
    in my opinion after using the clearblue ovulation tests and never getting a smiley face then conceiving anyway i would highly reccomend not putting yourself through the stress of using them! i never tracked my temprature but i would try that instead? ovulation tests just worried me and stressed me out and never gave me a positive anyways and i am now 6 weeks pregnant soo! image just my opinion and just trying to think of you! image xx
  • Options
    Hi there. I had a terrible time with OPKs. Like you I only used internet cheapies. I always thought I was getting a positive and ended up getting 7 positives in a row, just to get AF at the end of it.

Now I chart my temp and it's very good for pinpointing ovulation. I still use OPKs just to fill my need to POAS :lol:

xxx
  • Options
    I used internet OPKs for a couple of months and, no matter when I tested, I NEVER got a second line! But I obviously ovulated as got my first BFP this week! I just used my EWCM as an indicator and had planned to chart temp if AF had arrived this week!

Good luck hun. xx
  • Options
    Hi CK2011 - its sounds like you have got it covered if you did ovulate early so thats obviously good.

Someone suggested to me testing twice a day to make sure youb catch it. I used CBD mainly but they are too expensive to test twice a day with so use one of the ebay stips in the morningwth FMU and try and do a second in work or as soon as you can when you get home.

The opks can sometimes play silly buggers so as I discovered this month that alongside temping helps but you will need to do it a couple of months before you 'know' when your about to ovulate. Hopefully it wont matter and you will be joining me in DID. Good luck xx