Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

TTC and Maternity Benefits

Hi All

I am looking to start trying at the end of this year but I've literally just lost my job!  I am still desperate to start trying at the end of the year and I am currently on a mad Job Hunt.  I have been looking for permanent roles so I can get maternity benefits but I am worried a lot might say I have to be there for 1 year before I am entitled to benefits, meaning I'd only get the standard maternity pay from the Government.  Has anyone else gone through this - I am desperate for some advice on what to do - as I say I am desperate to start trying but I don't want to be stupid and miss out on additional leave/SMP from an employer.  I am so confused!  I don't plan to go back to work full time once I've had a baby either.Thank you x 

Replies

• Options

with my first i had a great package but i hated my job and started my new job at 7 weeks which ment i was only entitled to smp which is around £520 a month, i only worked part time at that point so it was not a huge drop in wages, if they wont give you smp then you could claim maternity allowance if you can prove you have worked so many weeks in the last 12 months which is the same as smp all ont he yougov website

you are very unlikely to get a maternity package more than smp with employment under a years service, you would get your holiday allowance still which accrews whist you are on leave

• Options

I agree its unlikely to get a package under a years service but I got SMP only and actually it is surprising how far you can make it go.

You also accrue holiday on leave which you can ask to have paid in cash to you if you don't want to take as holiday or just take it at the end.

We did things like sold one car, looked at gas/electric/tv/phone bills.  Budgeted more and looked at ebay for things we needed.

There is never a perfect time so go with when you feel ready although yes wait until you have a job of some description. image