Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How do your OH's cope with TTC?

Hope its ok for me to start a thread!

Just interested really as how your OH's deal with TTC?

Mine has got better as the time has gone on. He doesn't think about it constantly like I do, but roughly knows where I am in my cycle in terms of ovulation and AF. He isn't so keen on being told to DTD on demand though! lol He has 2 kids from previous relationship, so I assume it isn't as big a deal for him, which he tells me is unfair, but it would also rule us out of any NHS funded treatment down the line.

Replies

• Options

I totally think its a man thing not thinking about it all the time!

My hubby's pretty good and always interested in my charts and when I am ovulating.

I didn't know that it would rule you out of NHS funded treatment that's poor!

• Options

Hi Wally, of course it's ok for you to start a thread - actually, start lots, we love having reading material when we're supposed to be working!

I hadn't realised that him having kids would rule you both out? So if you had Endo or PCOS, they couldn't do anything for you?? Or a blockage/ovarian reserve issue?

My OH has always shown quite an interest into all things TTC but he's a lot more relaxed about it than me. In life in general he doesn't get too bothered about things but unfortunately that results in him letting things slide that he probably shouldn't!

• Options

Well you've got me thinking now, I just always assumed thats how it worked. Maybe I need to do some more research!

Tayto - Your H sounds like mine!

• Options

I agree with Tayto- Seem's odd to me do some more research about it :)!

• Options

I'm in agreement for you finding out more Wally - that would be incredibly unfair!

My H is pretty good, he's interested and more than happy to do his part when required, but he definitely doesn't think about it all the time, I'm not sure he quite gets the crushing feelings when AF arrives but he's always ready to comfort. He's super laid back anyway so he just takes it in his stride.

• Options

Wally, I've had a google and I found this: www.netmums.com/.../965192-fertility-treatment-husband-already-has-kids-all.html

Still seems unfair though.....

• Options

Thanks Tayto! I don't understand why treatment can't be universal across the country, why should it vary between NHS trusts? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed we won't need to go down that route!

• Options

My H was interested in it all and loved doing the charts with me but also took a very relaxed 'if it happens it happens' sort of approach to actually conceiving. Whereas it was on my mind all the time.

• Options

Mine will do his bit, will take vitamins if he needs to, go to the necessary appointments and get the required tests he needs to.

He doesn't think about it all the time as I do but does show an interest when I bring up the subject. That will do for now.

• Options

Wally it may not come to needing fertility treatment so hang on in there. When we filled out the checklist for our IVF funding, the question was asked, does H have children form a previous relationship, had he, then we wouldn't have been offered the funding, it's incredibly unfair but I think each PCT is different so definitely worth doing some research. Lots of luck x

• Options

Thanks Claire, that is what I had suspected. We'll just have to find the money if it comes to it x

• Options

D is more interested in sorting his study out than the TTC side of things, but he's more than willing to go along with DTD. Although when I pointed out it would probably need to be more than once a week he said he was too old and knackered for that. He's 25.

• Options

Mine was all lets go buy you some ovulation kits about ten minutes after we agreed that I was coming off the pill, I had to explain to him that 1. It might take a few months for me to ovulate after coming off the pill and 2. I might not ovulate for a while anyway due to my prolactinoma, so I'll just have to wait for a natural period to show up before any of that!

Other than that he hasn't mentioned it, we aren't trying yet in the sense of doing all we can to make sure it happens, just not avoiding it and maybe having a bit more sex than normal. It will probably be different in six months or so, a baby is something we both really want but it's such early stages for us we are trying to be laid back.