Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Ovulation confusion

How do you know when / if you're ovulating? 

It is all new to me and I get confused when reading about ovulating haha.

Do you get cramps? Discharge? What do I look out for? 

I'm trying for my first baby with my boyfriend and want to know when the best time to try is.

Thanks http://www.madeformums.com/lib/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif

Replies

• Options

Most girls at the time they're most fertile get clear stretchy cervical mucus (discharge). Stretchy to the point its stringy and doesnt break easily when being stretched very similiar to egg white. You most probably will feel alot more wanting to have sex round this time as thas quite common for most girls ... a lucky few girls actually get ovulation pain if u do u will notice the pain is on one side .. i get ovulation pain i usually feel really bloated and feel like i need a wee even after going to loo .. good luck on trying for a baby maybe a good idea to get some pre conception vitamins.. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask xx

• Options

thank you very much for your reply. I'm guessing it takes a while to ovulate after coming off the pill mid pack?! X

• Options

Hmmm not necessarily i had a pack and half of contraceptive pills back to back to avoid a period whilst abroad when i got back i stopped taking them mid pack and im fairly certain i ovulated That month it did take a bit longer than usual 3weeks i think instead of 2 xx

• Options

Yeah I also had a pack and a half back to back when I went abroad and stopped taking then about a week after I got back off holiday. Been off them now 2 weeks today (monday). Haven't had my proper period yet though since stopping the pill. Can't even remember when my last one was either with taking the pill back to back xx

• Options

Ovulation tests can't beat them!! The cheap ones are fine (depending on where you live) pound shop do 5 for £1 or savers do 5 for £1 Amazon etc. the cheap ones you hold your wee for at least 2 hrs in afternoon about 2 ish wee on it and see if you get a line detecting your LH levels. If ovulating a test line will show(that will always appear) followed by your line. Very faint if not ovulating as you get nearer it will get darker. Ovulation day your line will be as dark as test line if not darker!! I use clear blue ovulation tests too which first morning urine can be used(easier for some!) you get a blank circle not ovulating or a smiley face if you are!! Once you get that smiley you have 12-36 hrs until egg is released!! Hope this helps, good luck on the ttc journeyimage

• Options

Thank you missmyangels 😊

I might have to get a few ovulating tests. If you do one and you're not ovulating, how long after do you wait to do one again? 

And once you are ovulating, we have to baby dance straight away until egg is released? 

Sorry for all the questions haha. Never really took notice of ovulation before with not ttc xx

• Options

the rough way to work out ovulation is the length of your cycle (1st day of AF being day 1) count back 14. So I have 28 day cycle count back 14  which is day 14 and that's around about when it should happen!! 

I start using opks day 9 every afternoon at about 2ish. Must hold urine for at least 2 hrs to get a build up of hormones and don't drink too much as can dilute your test!! That is with the cheapie ones. The control line wI'll come up nice and dark, now wait for your test line to appear, it has to be as dark or darker than control line!! That means you are ovulating so make sure you get as much bd in as possible!!! You have 12-36 hrs roughly then all finished for another month!!! Just do an ovulation test every day until it's positive!! Once positive you don't need to do any more!!

Clear blue you can use first morning urine. Smiley means u r ovulating so same time frame as above!!

* don't forget you are fertile upto 4 days b4 ovulation too as sperm can survive 5-7 days

you can post pics of your test if not sure and we'll gladly help you:) x

this is the clear blue test x

• Options

This is a positive ovulation cheapie test strip my line is left of picture the control line is on right( near blue bit) my line is slightly darker than control line .

hope this gives you an idea?!! The darker that left line gets start the baby making at least every other day until positive then another day or two after,job done haha xxx

• Options

That's a lot of help thank you. Think I'd get the clear blue ones as I'd understand that one more 😂 xx

• Options

Glad to be of help!! Good luck let me know how you get on:) xxx

• Options

I will do, thank you. Good luck to you too chick 😊 xx