Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Opks and fertility window

hi all, i feel really silly asking this question but can someone explain ovulation tests and best time to try? Me and my partner have been actively trying for around 4-5 months without success, we have children from previous relationships and i just assumed it would happen quick, the longer its gone on the more ive read about and i think ive been doing it wrong?! 

Ive been testing on the day or day before my app says today is the day, this month i havent had a positive but im thinking if i tested on the day im apparently most fertile it wouldnt be positive because it detects the surge 24-48 hours before i am actually ovulating.. correct? So i could have potentially missed my window in previous months? My periods have been slightly out by a day or two always coming on a day before my app says i am meant to, does that mean i could be ovulating before the date stated on my app? I have too many questions bubbling round my brain and even google is fed up with me. This is the first month ive really tried before and well after my apparent day just in case and ive used pre seed so hoping for a bfp 
if you got this far thanks for reading it was a long one
x

Replies

• Options
    Hi @Yorkshire89 I'm no expert but the app is only a prediction, I use opk strips from the day after I finish my period until I get a positive result (I always ovulate after the app says so I never listen to app) so when you get a positive result from an opk it means there is a surge in the LH hormone which means you are going to ovulate in the next 12-48 hours, me and my partner do the deed on the day we get a positive result and the following 3 days, it worked for us doing that, but unfortunately I had a misscarriage, and I'm back to my first round of TTC again, good luck x
  • Options
    Hey there! I used OPKs everyday starting on CD8. Some people use them everyday throughout the entire cycle so they can pick up the pattern. I scan my ovulation tests in an app called Premom and it will tell you whether it’s low, high, or peak. It helped me get my BFP this month
  • Options
    Hey there! I used OPKs everyday starting on CD8. Some people use them everyday throughout the entire cycle so they can pick up the pattern. I scan my ovulation tests in an app called Premom and it will tell you whether it’s low, high, or peak. It helped me get my BFP this month
    Thank you for replying! Sorry whats CD8? Day after your period?  I will download it, im thinking of temping as people say this us most accurate just waiting to see if this is my month from the pre seed 😁 and congratulations! X
  • Options
    It’s cycle day 8. So about 3 days after my period ended. I also used BBT and preseed this cycle, so I would definitely
    recommend it! And thank you ☺️
  • Options
    BeckyL24 said:
    Hi @Yorkshire89 I'm no expert but the app is only a prediction, I use opk strips from the day after I finish my period until I get a positive result (I always ovulate after the app says so I never listen to app) so when you get a positive result from an opk it means there is a surge in the LH hormone which means you are going to ovulate in the next 12-48 hours, me and my partner do the deed on the day we get a positive result and the following 3 days, it worked for us doing that, but unfortunately I had a misscarriage, and I'm back to my first round of TTC again, good luck x
    Thank you for replying, im so sorry to hear that☹️ How devastating for you. 
    So i have potentially been mis calculating it and i think stopping too soon or not early enough. I think i will do it from stopping my period so i can get a more accurate view. Its just so frustrating i didnt try with my son he just happened this is a whole new world 

xx