Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When would you TTC after starting a new job? HELP x

Hey. I came off the pill this April so my partner and I could TTC.  We actually became pregnant in September, I got my first ever BFP on the 8th of September. Unfortunately it didn't stick and I started bleeding 5 days later, I was just over 4 weeks. 4 days after that, the company I worked out closed with no warning and I was made redundant. Luckily I started a new job last week. The new job, as with most jobs, has a 6 month probation. I think we are going to have to put TTC on hold till at least after then but I wanted to get people's views on it.
I really don't like the thought of becoming pregnant so soon into a new job but it's not something we can just keep putting on hold.
I'm just feeling a bit lost and disheartened with it all. We want a family so much and knowing that we did actually manage to convince makes me hopeful. I just hate having to wait and then I feel anxious about trying again with being in a new job but what can I do? I haven't chosen to be in this situation :( I was at my previous company for 11 years 

Replies

• Options
    Why can’t you start now? There’s no guarantee you will be pregnant the first month trying, but also you will be pregnant for 9 months and it’s only a 6 month probation. Just my opinion, but I don’t see anything wrong with trying now if that’s what you and your partner want 😊
  • Options
    Thank you for your comment @Rachel.a21 I'm just so unsure as I want to make sure we have stability too. I know they wouldn't be able to sack me for being pregnant but I also wouldn't want to piss them off.
  • Options
    That’s completely understandable. I hope they wouldn’t get mad at you if you got pregnant. That would be crazy!
  • Options
    @Rachel.a21 yeah you just never know do you. I was at my previous company 11 years and my manager would have been over the moon for me to have a baby bless her 
  • Options
    Hey @Rachel.a21 hope you are well.
    I had a rethink about TTC and I am certainly going to have to put it on hold for at least 3 months. To qualify for SMP in the UK you have to be working for your employer for 26 weeks up until the 15th week before your due date. At the moment , even though I am working, I am technically employed by the agency as there is a 3 month probation period with them, and then a further 3 months once the actual employer takes me on their payroll.
    😫 So to qualify for the maternity I need to wait until end of January at the earliest I think.xx
  • Options
    @Sunshine1989 Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that 😔 I wish it wasn’t like that with jobs and leave. But, I will keep my fingers crossed for you in January!! 
  • Options
    It's a bit of a nightmare with the situation :( we want a family so much. Hopefully come January I'll feel more comfortable too x