Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Trying to conceive & Alcohol

All advice is welcome if you read this please reply thanks in advance x 

Hey ladies. Me and my husband are trying for a baby and I would like advice on if women are allowed to drink alcohol when trying to Conceive or if we are how much is allowed. I’ve read so many things saying yes little bit or no none at all? 

Replies

• Options
    Also Can anyone recommend any best multivitamins tablets to help to conceive. 
  • Options
    Hi @Jess24 I did drink Ttc but probably not recommended especially in the 2 week wait. I drank less then but still had some alcohol before I got my positive result. 
    The only thing I took ttc was folic acid x
  • Options
    Hi. Do you mean if your trying to conceive You don’t recommend alcohol at all and Is the 2 week wait the 2 weeks before your period is due. How much did alcohol did you drink while TTC? 
    also ttc folic acid can anyone take them Or would you need to go to your doctors  and get advice would there be any side effects to the body  or effects of getting pregnant As everyone’s body is different? x 
  • Options
    I used to drink wine regularly at weekends. The two week wait is the two weeks before period as at that point you could be pregnant.
    I think anyone can take folic acid, it is good for your body to build up a supply. I would check with an expert if you are concerned though because I am not an expert at all lol but my midwife seemed happy when I told her I started folic acid when i started ttc :) x
  • Options
    Hi

They advise you to take folic acid when ttc so you build up a supply, rather than waiting until you get a positive pregnancy test. 

Also, there was a phrase "drink until it's pink" which meant you could drink alcohol until you got a positive test. I don't know what the official advice is, but personally I have an occasional drink while af is here, then I abstain. Occasionally I will have a drink up to ovulation. 

I take a pregnancy or prenatal multivitamin, which includes folic acid, all of the time when ttc. I also carry on taking it until at least 16 weeks of pregnancy. X
  • Options
    The recommendation from NHS is that you don't have any as you will at some point becoming pregnant and you may not know. I drank and got pregnant, so no issue with conception but as soon as I found out I stopped. 
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies ladies. I am now taking folic acid Been about 3/4 days now and I normally only drink on Friday and Saturdays not every day would never do that but this weekend was free kept away. 
  • Options
    Just so everyone is aware I’m not an alcoholic lol and drink isn’t everything I’m just new to all of this TTC and folic acid tablets and just need advice and what other people like your selves have done when in a similar situation as me 
  • Options
    I drank @jess24 like you only at weekends, I’m 31wks pregnant now and found out the day after Boxing Day and had had a very merry Xmas obviously I stopped as soon as I found out but if didn’t hurt with conception 
  • Options
    Congratulations @Metalchick. been getting a sharp pain right hand side lower stomach yday was sharp and today it comes and goes feeling slight nausea not much And loads of cm when I wipe like wet clear egg white sometimes cloudy - not sure if that means anything for my period in 11 days so let’s just see. 
  • Options
    Have you ovulated yet @Jess24? The cm could be ovulation egg white cm, that's all I'm thinking. You may be ovulating later than normal? X
  • Options

Here’s a picture of what it is like now it’s gross so sorry in advance lol. 
    Also another question about you can sometimes detect that your pregnant from the cervix “donut ball” as the word would be - is that meant to be right high up if your pregnant so you can just about touch it with your finger and if your not pregnant then it just stays low in the middle and you can get a good feel of it - another  thing is knowing if it’s open or closed when you try to check if your finger? 

I probably sound so silly and dumb and people may laugh but research does get confusing at times so don’t know and especially when your totally new to this.