Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

TTC short luteal phase

Hi just after some advice. I have a child who's 15months & we are now TTC (trying to conceive) our 2nd. I had no problems before when I saw positive opk we conceived on the 2 occasions (1st was mmc 2nd my LG), I'm 37 too so not lot time to play with.

My periods this year changed from being 28 days normal on time, ovulate day 14. So now cycle anything from 22 to 30 days, I ovulated last 2 months on day 18 and this cycle I've today had AF (Aunt Flo - menstruation/period) 8 days after ovulation. Has anyone experienced this? I was hoping for BFP (big fat positive (pregnancy test)) end of this week but not only no pg as cramps & blood started today but it's 8 dpo which worrying.

I'm quite anxious I guess As I'm worrying something is wrong. My cycle so different, also my age, or sonething wrong from 1st baby where I had casearean.

Any tips? Should I try temping? Maybe if hear similar story and someone went onto conceive. Thanks very much in advance x

Replies

• Options
    Hello @Claire90210 I had a short luteal phase of 8 days and tried to get pregnant for 7 months without any joy. I went for day 21 bloods and was told my progesterone levels were a little low but showed I was ovulating so was advised not problematic. I did not believe this and paid to go privately. I asked the consultant for progesterone. He told me it would lengthen my lp but would make no difference in ttc. Not many people believe in a short lp being problematic but sadly it is. 

Anyway he prescribed progesterone and that month I got pregnant. Coincidence? I think not. A short lp doesn't mean you can't get pregnant it just means you are relying on an early implantation so could be missing lots of opportunities.

Try doing bbt temping and make sure you definitely are ovulating when you think. And if your lp continues to be short progesterone/cyclogest will definitely help xxx
  • Options
    Hi there Thsnk you very much for your reply. 
    Right ok so I would need to see a Dr to prescribe this medication for low progesterone? I know it would take ages to see Dr nhs esp with covid now. Was it expensive to go privately do u mind I ask? 
    Is there any otc meds/tips to lengthen l.p. and or increase progesterone in 1st instance?
    That's great you got pg tho after the meds. Did they explain why all sudden short l.p. comes about or progesterone levels decrease?
    Thanks xx
  • Options
    No problem. No, some professionals believe in lp issues and will treat whilst others just palm it off. However as we get older our progesterone levels naturally drop so that could be why you are experiencing this. 

Taking vit b6 can help for some people, a dose of 50 mgs daily throughout cycle. It did lengthen my lp one cycle but then it delayed ovulation and messed my subsequent cycles up so I stopped it but others swear by it. 

Accupuncture is supposed to be good for supporting hormone imbalance and has been shown to support an lp improvement. I had been having acupunture the month I got pregnant also. It is v relaxing and may or may not have helped. 

In terms of progesterone gp won't prescribe it. When I went private they wouldn't let me speak to a Consultant until I had a scan, got my bloods done to test amh and dh had sperm analysis. All came back OK, although amh was slightly low which can indicate a lower ovarian reserve but consultant wasn't worried about that. So for those tests and a consultation was 400...expensive but best 400 I ever spent. Other places might just let you speak to consultant which is prob about 160. You'll get no where fast waiting on NHS sadly, esp with big rona doing the rounds. 

I also took ubiquinol 2 months before I got pregnant as it is proven to improve egg quality. And the better the egg quality in theory the stronger the ovulation and the more progesterone you will produce. It was expensive but I do think it probably helped also. 

So I had Accupuncture, took ubiquinol and got progesterone prescribed. If I had to guess I would say it was the progesterone that did it and I suspected that was the issue but the other 2 are proven to improve egg quality so can't hurt🥚🙂

Sorry if that's info overload but I feel very strongly about short lp issues as they are often ignored and it is usually a simple fix. If I were you I would take your bbt for a few cycles to ensure you are def ovulating and you'll soon see a pattern of luteal phase length and you'll know what next steps are. 

Also ask me anything anytime. Like I say I feel v strongly about lp issues. Xxx

• Options
    Thsnk you very much for this information. A few days ago I didn't even think about l.p. now it's all I can think of. I've started temping now so we see how I get on. Will try b6 too then see how go, but will go doc if nothing happens in couple cycles. 
    Thinking my age will have factor in it all and the stress recently 
    Fingers crossed x
  • Options
    Def temp and see if you can see a pattern. Easier said than done but try not to stress too much. Age should not prevent you from getting pregnant. Many people have babies into their 40's, it can take a little longer but don't worry about that. Plus you have conceived before which is positive. Good luck, I really hope you get your bfp soon 😘 if you have any other questions send me a private message. You should join the thread 'hoping for a bfp in Oct or Nov maybe now' there are lots of ladies trying to conceive with lots of advice 😊 xxx
  • Options
    Thank you for your positivity and yes I know it's eaely days and I have conceived before I just need to be patient. Glad it worked out for you with the pregnancy congratulations. I will take a look at those threads you mentioned too x