Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Career/baby/planning thoughts

Replies

• Options
    Hello Cent,

Just a question first? Once you qualify as a lawyer can you go back to it after several yrs off, or would you have to resit exams etc.

I think if you have to resit exams etc and you have put lots of money into it, then I personally would wait a few more years. my oh woiuld also probably tell me that I ahve thrown my money away! What are your ohs thoughts? will you be able to pay house costs per month and bills on your oh wage?

I qualified as a nurse and I fell pregnant with my lo a lot quicker than I thought we would. So I only worked about 6mths max before turning to being a SAHM. I dont think I will keep my registration up. There is the option that I can renew my registration by studying for a yr if I want to when my lo is older.
    When my lo was born I had smp for maternity leave and my oh was a student. We survived pretty well and we did have to claim some benfits to ensure we had some money in the bank for food etc. We coped fine and it just meant that the basic things for survival were paid first and luxuries like holidays and clothes etc were put to one side for a yr. We were just very careful and watched what the pennies/pounds were spent on. My husband qualified in the sumemr as its the main earner now.

I guess you could wait untill you qualify and start work as a lwayer, that way you at least have a wee bit of experience under your belt for future application forms. I have heard some people say that it can take longer to fall pregnant once you come off the pill, but im not sure how accurate the figure are on this as Ive never taken the pill.

I would suggest sitting down with your oh and discussing his thoughts on starting a family, if you think you can manage the first yr or so financially. Also, what his thoughts are on your lawyer pathway. Some people naturally favour the career route whereas some people would rather put there carers to one side and focus on being a mother and worry about their career at a later date. Theres also the option of being in between. Being a mother but also working part time too.
    Its can only be yours and oh opinion on this matter. the answer will be wherever yours and your oh heart lies on.
  • Options
    Hi lovely,

I trained for 4 years to be a teacher, it cost me ??20,000 in student loan. And i gave it up in september after one year of absolute hell. But thats just something I have to live with. My husband luckily is in a very good job with propsects and lots of money to support us and a family (we dont need for much these days).

I am going to get a parttime (or maybe fulltime till baby is born) and then be a sahm... only because as a teacher i know how important those early years are and how much i can do with my baby before they go to school. Plus I dont want to miss anything.

I dont know how it is in being a lawyer but in teaching it moves very quickly and if you are out of the game for say 10 years, it can be hard to get back in. but not impossible.

Welcome to planning by the way :P
    This place is amazing for info etc!
    xxx
  • Options
    I already have a little girl 18 months old and we are now ttc number 2. I am a teacher and moved very quickly into a senior management position. I have been teaching now for 7 years and only work 4 days a week. I would like to be a deputy next and kinda have a career plan lol! I think it helps if you kinda know what you want to do. I know I want to enjoy my babies before taking the next step up the career ladder so having babies now is right for me.

Perhaps qualify and then see how you feel? xxx