Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Coming off the Pill...

When should I expect my periods to return?

Hey ladies,
I'm a newbie here, just married (I'm sure I recognise a number of you ladies from YAYW!) and just started TTC and I'm already impatient! I only stopped taking the pill (after about 10 years) on 1st June and was wondering whether I should expect a period this month. Before taking the pill my periods were quite erratic, but I was hoping that that was due to being young and not having the most heathly lifestyle. Can anybody give me any advice - how long in general does it take for your periods to get back to normal? I seem to have read so many posts about women falling in the first month, I guess I just got over excited!

Thanks, Elf

Replies

• Options
    From my experience and what ive gathered off here is that everyone is different, some have normal withdrawal bleeds, some don't, and cycle lengths are across the board too! So in answer to your question I havent a clue! Sorry hon. xx
  • Options
    Hi & welcome,

As snowcake says you just don't know as it's different for everyone. Good luck ttc x
  • Options
    Ahh well, thanks ladies - at least I can stop worrying now, well about this particular thing anyway!
  • Options
    I read all sorts and thought it would take months, but I was one of those that fell pregnant the following month. And I had been on the pill for 9 years . Good luck! x
  • Options
    Hi Mrs Elf, I got married in may and lke you took my last pill on the 1st June. I had my wb on the 5th June and had some cramping etc on the 17th / 18th, when i looked this up it suggested I was ovuating which was good to know as hubby and me did some b'dancing from the 15th! I was on the pill for 15 years and very regular 28 cycles before that so have everything crossed i will be a lucky one who gets pregnant in 1st month!! I am realistic though and haven't got my hopes up too much!!

have other friends who have taken between 2 months and 2 years for cycles to be normal again.

Wishing you lots of luck
  • Options
    Hello Mrs Elf.

I was just like you on this subject. I have been on the pill for over 6 yrs now, and my periods werevery hit and miss. But now im regular as clockwork, so hopefully that will continue! Getting caught in the first month would be amazing, but im not being to hopeful!! Practice makes perfect!

Good luck in TTC, fingers crossed for you

xxxx
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I know its recommended not to TTC until after your first proper period (sorry not up with all the terminology and acronyms yet) so conception can be dated more accurately, but seeing as I'm an impatient bunny should I assume a 28 day cycle and test in July? It may just be that my periods haven't returned yet?

Good luck and babydust for everyone!

Elf
  • Options
    Just go for it! Ive been told your at your most fertile the first 3 months......unsure of how true this is but I'm happy to go with that! I'd go by your usual due on date/day and go from there,

Keep us posted xxx
  • Options
    Hi Mrs Elf,

The advice on whether to wait or not for first proper AF is conflicting to say the least. So for my last repeat prescription of the pill I asked my doc, and she said just stop when you're ready, and after 7 days (I assuming WB is got of the way first) you'll be pill free and can BD away (well not quite in those words :lol: ) . If you do catch first go they'll be able to date you more accurately from your first scan.

CharlieGirl - I also heard that you may be most fertile for the first fwe cycles, but I think again thats different for everyone.
  • Options
    I was in a similar position MrsElf. I went on the pill (ovranette/microgynon) when I was 16 and started seeing my husband. My periods were irregular and strange to say the least before i went on it. I came off the pill over a year ago now and after my normal withdraw bleed had a normal period 28 days later which was good. my cycles have been 27-31 days long ever since so pretty good. this is our 5th month at ttc incidentally.
  • Options
    I can't believe I'm already confused! I think I'll try to just stopping thinking about it and go with the flow - it hasn't even been a month since I came off the pill, so I should probably just enjoy the practice for a few months.

Btw, what does BD stand for... I get what it means, just not the actual words?

• Options
    Baby Dance!! Going with the flow sounds good, thats the plan for myself & the OH! xx
  • Options
    Hi Hun,

I'm not really adding anything new but was on the pill for 13 years then got PG first month off it....apparently your body goes into fertility overdrive immediately after you stop taking it - seems like my body did anyway.

Happy humping!!

MN
    7+3
    xxx
  • Options
    Ahhh, baby dancing all beings to make sense now.....

Now that's what I wanted to hear Monkeynuts! Congratulations
  • Options
    aww thanks hun, still getting over the frigging shock!! xx
  • Options
    i'm sort of wishing we had started bd'ing as soon as I came off the pill but my dh wanted me to make sure it was "all out of my system" ! even though the drs said we would be fine - men! lol x
  • Options
    Well gave into my demons and did a pregnancy test which, despite me convincing myself that every like twich was a preganacy pang (think it was just indigestion!), was negative. The good news is that I did an ovulation test at the same time and I am ovulating! Hubby isn't going to know what's hit him when he gets in!

Fingers crossed!