Forum home Pregnancy Baby names
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Name opinions

H and I have a few girls names that we are throwing around but we keep changing our minds. We like Penny, Summer and Iris. Middle name will be Ellen.

The thing is, we both really liked Scarlett first time round but ruled it out because we thought it sounded silly with our last name but now we are wondering if we are being hasty dismissing it and it's actually ok? We don't want to ask friends/family IRL if they think it sounds weird because it will be awkward if they say no and we go for it anyway lol!

So, if I post my surname (limited time only!) can I have some MD opinions? It's the only way I can think of to actually come to a decision on it. If people generally say it sounds ok, I think it will actually win over all the other names so there is a lot riding on this post Laugh

Ok, so what do we think of Scarlett Ellen {deleted}? Scarlett {deleted}?

Replies

• Options

I think it might sound a bit like a tongue twister! It's not ridiculous  though I don't think I'd go for it personally.

I feel your pain though because I love the name max but our surname is the same as another famous max who has recently been sent to prison!

As an aside I LOVE LOVE LOVE penny.

• Options

That's exactly how we feel, it's a bit hard to get your tongue round it? I just know if you say anything out loud enough times it sounds weird so we thought that might be the case!

Hearing you say how much you like Penny makes me fall in love with it again lol. I keep going through phases of it being 'meh' then 'LOVE'.

Max is our choice for a boy but again, I keep going on and off it. We have no other alternatives for a boy at all though!

• Options

I think I agree with Holey that it sounds a little tounge twister-like. But I do love the name. I really like Summer too.

There's a couple of names I love that don't go with our surname, but went really well with my maiden name, typical! I think if we have a second we'll be really stuck! We couldn't come up with a single boys name last time and only had two real contenders for a girl!

• Options

Love both Scarlett & Penny, but think Penny sounds better with your surname.

• Options

I can see why you don't think it goes, but to be honest, having sat for a couple of minutes saying it, I actually think it doesn't sound too bad! How often will she be referred to by her full name? We have the same problem in that i love the names Bryony and Elodie, but can't use either because of our surname.

• Options

I think it is a bit of a tongue twister. I love the name Summer.

• Options

I actually quite like names that have a bit of a ring to them but I know what you mean. My H has ruled out any babies names (no, this isn't an announcement!) beginning with D as our surname is D and he thinks 'double D' will be 'too weird'.

I say go with it Popcorn - I love it.

• Options

First of I LOVE penny!

When I first read it I thought it was quite a mouthful but after saying it a couple of times I do like it and I think it kind of flows as the names are similar (not sure that makes sense!) Scarlett is a really lovely name and even as I'm writing this I'm saying it again in my head and I like it!

• Options

Thanks ladies, very helpful. We are still contemplating Scarlett but your comments have made us love Penny again :) bah, it'll probably be a boy anyway!