Forum home Pregnancy Baby names
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

This naming game is a nightmare...

As above really! Just having a bit of a moan!

We're restricted with our names a bit, as names like Lilly rhyme with our surname and therefore are out. I love William, but same problem.

We prefer more traditional names, but a lot of these have been used for my cousins' children (Thomas, Samuel, Keiran) or friends (Matthew, Anthony, Oliver). Same with girls' names.

We're team yellow, but I can think of more for girls.

We hadn't actually told anyone our favourite names, but two of our closest friends have had their baby this morning and called him Elliott. I'm so happy for them, obviously, but can't help but feel a bit irrationally upset as Elliott was my number one boys' name. Dammit.

Back to the drawing board.... LaughHelp

Replies

• Options

Aw that sucks. What bad luck as Elliott isn't *that* popular a name I don't think.

I like Lewis, Christopher, Harry and Jake with your name.

You're right though some didn't go at all especially when shortened x

• Options

I know TT! I thought I was safe with that one!

One of my main problems is that my H is a right fussy one when I suggest names! We don't want anything too popular either, which restricts us even further. It's so hard. Though you've made some nice suggestions, so will consult the boss later! xx

• Options

I feel your pain with the fussy H. Mine vetoes everything, and I mean everything. When we were expecting Seth, we didn't know the sex but Seth was the only make we could agree on so it's lucky he was a boy. This time round, we've half agreed on Max for a boy because I like the idea of another single syllable name. For a girl, nothing. Zip. Zilch.

Have you looked at nymbler? It was recommended to me by someone on here - you can type in names you like and it gives you ideas of others that might tickle your fancy.

• Options

Oooh no I haven't! Thank you!

• Options

Argh JJ my H does exactly the same! He can think of a cartoon character or weird, obscure nickname for every name I come up with! It's so frustrating, especially when he doesn't offer any suggestions for names he does like. Grr.

• Options

W has Elliot as a middle name as that's my dad's name. I am completely at a loss for boys names this time! I asked H about a girls name that i'd seen (brand new to the table) and he likes it! :-) So i think we may have a shortlisted girls name! :-)

• Options

We can never have a boy. Ever. We can agree on zero boys names. We have talked about it since we got together 6 years ago and have never agreed properly on a name. Girls are different. We agreed on As name and we have another name if we have no. 2 (at some point in the future)

• Options

Wow... LP you are 94 weeks pregnant according to your ticker :O That is one hell of a pregnancy you've had ;)

Hazel we had a nightmare with names, everything I liked my H didn't and vice versa or if we did both like a name we then discovered someone else we knew had already used it!