Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleeping positions

2»

Replies

• Options
    Hi Socks,

Can totally relate to having a tummy sleeper.

The first time we took Joshua to see a cranial osteopath at 3 weeks he mentioned he likes to be on his tummy.

The only way we could get him to sleep in his moses basket was with a sheepskin lining and a towel rolled up and wedged along one side and Joshua on his side. At 6 weeks he was sleeping during the day on his tummy (still on the sheepskin with me watching him like a hawk) and 8 weeks he was sleeping at night in his cot bed on his tummy. We also used a microwavable bunny to warm up the mattress first that stank!

The fact Joshua has the strongest neck ever and from a few weeks old could move his head from one side to another gave some reassurance. I'm sure Kayecee's daughter was a tummy sleeper and she used the angel care sensory mat for peace of mind.

I was also given a plastic mattress cover for the moses basket from New Zealand as they believe it's spores/gases released from mattresses that cause SIDS and since using them they've had no cot deaths. It's also why SIDS apparently is higher in single parent families as mattresses get passed down.

Have a fantastic Christmas,

xxx
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies I was almost scared to read the replies after earlier! That is really helpful! I will ditch the cushion its so hard to know what to do sometimes its horrible to see her awake and crying when she is clearly tired. Love the clarification you were not sleeping when she was minnie!! Thanks for the congrats lara we love her to pieces, after all we have been through just trying to do what is best is so hard! xx
  • Options
    when the twins were in SCBU,they used to put them on there tums to sleep but they had sensor mats and they were nurses with them almost 24/7,so if you want your LO to sleep like that,i would seriously think about getting a sensor mat
  • Options
    LJ sleeps on his front and has done since he could roll himself, although he's only been sleeping in his own bed from 6 months as we co slept before then. He would not sleep well on his back at all and even now in his pram etc he struggles and just wants to be on his tummy.

Entirely up to you, but if you do put her down on her tummy ensure her mattress is very firm and there is nothing she can smother herself with.
  • Options
    i've not read all the posts lovely, but lo has slept on his front from week 2 because he WOULD NOT sleep on his back, and we were exhausted and tried it as a last resort. We used an angelcare monitor and it took me a loooong time to get over the guilt. You are mummy you choose what is best