Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

12 week old just won't feed properly- what's up?

My lo has been having issues feeding for a month now. They seemed to start when he had a really nasty cold a month ago which developed into bronchiolitis. For 2 weeks we were told that once that cleared up he'd be back to normal, only that hasn't happened. Just to clarify, before this he was feeding 3 hourly in the day and twice at night taking 5oz bottles and we were just moving up to 6oz bottles.

Now he is fussing and refusing most of a bottle. He is probably averaging 2 1/2oz at a feed now although this can vary widely. He can take as little as 1/2oz before he starts fussing and/ or screaming, thrashing about and batting the bottle away up to as much as 6oz at his night feed. Mornings are usually particularly bad.

I had wondered whether it may be reflux but surely if this was the case he wouldn't tolerate the night feed (as he goes straight back on his back afterwards). He's on Aptimal Comfort and was constantly sick on the 1st milk and we use Dr Brown's bottles. When he has a good feed he will bring up a big burp so I don't think this is the issue. We've also tried changing the teat on the bottles from 2 to 3 as I wondered if the flow was too slow? This doesn't seem to have had an effect other than sometimes you can get a bit more into him before he starts to fuss.

The GPs are bloody useless. I'd really like him assessed by a paediatrician but since he is gaining weight they don't seem concerned enough to refer him. He is gaining weight but only because I put 100% effort into ensuring he gets enough formula throughout the day by topping him up whenever possible. Even with this he has fallen from the 50th percentile line at birth to the 25th then between the 9th and the 25th. I am exhausted and have started dreading every feed as I know it's going to cause us both so much distress. I feel like i'm not able to enjoy my gorgeous little boy as I spend my whole time stressing out over this.

Does anyone have any advice or been through this??

Replies

• Options
    hi, big hugs.... I could have written this at 12 weeks too, my boy had been in hospital twice by then, treated for reflux and possible cows milk protein intolerance (all unsuccessfully). In the end he was put on a prescription formula called infatrini (nutritionally dense as struggling to take 15oz in a day). We were deserted by medical 'care' and left to get on with things. I had to 'sleep feed' him for 3 months. He only just came round from it before xmas. He too would tolerate a small night feed when half asleep/drowsy.

We were basically left to figure out that maybe he did have/had reflux/colicky pain and that had resulted in him associating feeding with pain. I also stressed out about every feed and tried to encourage him to take more, all this together meant he developed a behavioural aversion to the bottle (we tried every type/teat etc).

Luckily he now eats in his bouncy chair or car seat - he will not feed if we hold him. He usually manages 5-6oz four times a day but needs a bit of distraction to drink sometimes (this comes in the form of micky mouse on the ipod touch :lol: )

Does your LO show any signs of a cows milk intolorence (rashes, eczema, foul poo), it may be worth asking the GP to prescribe a trial of a special formula like nutrimagen/neocate (or you could buy some soya based formula from boots, I know SMA do one - not sure on success tho as alot of babies with cows milk intolorence also have similar probs with soya milk). If it is that it usually sorts it out in a few weeks. Or could they have silent reflux? maybe buy some gaviscon sachets over the counter and try some in a feed? Sounds basic stuff but it's what the GPs/Peads will suggest. (I my opinion the Dr's don't really take it seriously - we have been left to get on with it)

If you want to know more, feel free to message me.

Here's a link which might be of help. I hope your problems aren't like ours were, but the info may help you see you are not alone.

http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-reflux/c/96/8399/baby-doesnt-eat

hth

Suz and Josh 26 weeks
  • Options

hi my son is 18 weeks old now, he has been chesty and rattly since birth, he has been admitted to hospital 8 times in the last 14 weeks, he sufferes with fowel poop, alot of the time its green runny and greesy, watery like, he used to take 5-6 oz every  3-4 hours, but the last 2 weeks he is only taking about 2 oz and then screaming and fidgety, hes fully of a cold and cough and always seems poorly yet hes always happy in himself, apart from the bottle feeding, the hospital has put him on nutrimigen which he has had for the last 4 days, but he is still feeding very poor, im at the end of my tether,as we keep getting sent home,and told give the milk time for him to get use to it, i dont know what to do .