Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My Baby Was Born 12 Weeks Premature - 27wks + 5

I'm in bits. I cant think, I cant sleep, I cant function.

I had a normal(ish) first pregnancy, ECS, but full term. I was Consultnat Led and though that everything was fine. I went into Labour late on the evening of the 1st of Feb 2011, and gave birth on the at 02.46hrs on the 2nd of Feb. She weighs just 2lb 11oz.

I feel like I'm on some crazy rollercoaster, there is no end in sight and I'm being propeled from one extreme to another. I cant function.

I dont know what is going on. Week one was great, week two was awful, and now we are at the end of week three I feel physically sick again as she might have PDA and her sats are swinging. One minute she is at 100% (not good in itself) @ 40% 02 and the next she is 70%.

I cant get a straight ans from the medical team.

Please can someone tell me that it gets better!! Why are her Sats swinging?

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi - I have just replied on the sept 09 forum.

Premmie babies sats do bob up and down all the time. When it was us we were told that lots have severe acid reflux so hold their breath beacause they are in discomfort.

Tell the docs you want answers in laymans terms - ie. is today a good or bad day and why?

Good luck.

I will be thinking of you

• Options
    Hi,

I can't really give you any answers but I know how incredibly hard this is for you. My little one was born 8 weeks early.

Just try and take one day at a time, the stats do swing a lot and don't necessarily mean that anyhting is wrong. I was told it depends on when she has had her feed, if she is sleeping deeply or not, if she is having a poo, reflux etc etc...When my daughter came off the monitor she was still having self correcting desats. Time is all your LO needs, it will all settle.

Find a nurse who you feel comfortable to talk to and explain that you really need a chat.I did that and they made some time to talk to me. Sometimes they are so busy they do not notice how worried us mums get.

I know it is hard and nothing anyone says helps...but try and stay strong.

xxx
  • Options
    really sorry to hear what you're going through. My twins were born 8 weeks early, in NNU a month.

some days are good, some hell, but I agree with the others, your baby just needs time to continue to grow.

Communication often wasn't great in the hospital where our twins were, some nurses good, others not so. It's their job; it's the most important and difficult time in your life.

On one bad day I rang the Bliss support line

Family Support Helpline Freephone 0500 618140

Monday to Friday 10.00am-10.00pm

They also have some good info on their site which could help you http://www.bliss.org.uk/

Remember you are entitled to ask questions and don't be worried to ask them to explain again if they're not putting it into plain English, this is your baby they're talking about. I wish I'd've stood up to a couple of staff a bit more than I did but at the time I was lost in a different world.

Good luck to you and please let us know how you get on

• Options
    hi, how are things? I keep coming back to see if you've updated and have been thinking of you, fingers crossed all's well. Please let me know