Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

OT- Wedding dresses on ebay ?

My cousin is getting married and was thinking of buying a wedding dress on ebay possibly from China. Does anyone have any experiance and any tips of where is good.

Random Post I know !!!

Replies

• Options
    Thinking back to the old YAYW days i think it's very much hit and miss. Some people couldnt fault them and others had nightmares and ended up having to buy another dress. I looked into this type of thing for my bridesmaids dresses although it was an English company rather than a chinese one - clearly the picture shown on ebay is that from whichever brand they are ripping off, i asked to see what the actual dress they would make look like (i was confused as they said it was a halter neck and the picture on ebay clearly wasnt - obviously how they get round copywright) and i was not at all taken with the pictures they emailed me, the fabric looked cheap and nasty and to be be honest the dresses looked a little tacky. Needless to say that i spent the extra money and got them from a wedding shop.

Others may have had a positive experience though and to be honest they must mostly be ok otherwise there wouldnt be so many of them about xx
  • Options
    I agree with moomin it's very hit and miss. If you are on a tight budget has she looked on preloved.com they sell wedding dresses on there. A friend of mine went round dress shops and found her dream dress but at ??1200 it was way out of her budget but she got it on preloved at ??250 and she looked amazing. She didn't even need to pay for it cleaning as It has been dry cleaned.
  • Options
    G/C

I remember from YAYW, like the other ladies said it depends on the company. I would definately look at all the reviews of any company. Maybe even contact a few of them to check they were happy. Some companies use 'fake' feedback too so check they are still ebay members.

If you can afford to gamble ??100 odd for the hope of a knock off Maggie Sottero then I'd go for it but if that ??100 would be better off going towards another dress then I'd do that.

Hope that helps xxx
  • Options
    A friend of mine recently did, it was an absolute mess, bared no resemblance to the picture so complained to eBay and was refunded her money. The dress itself only cost ??50 but the p&p was near ??100 and she got the entire lot back, although it did take four months to resolve.

If you have time on your side you could give it a go. Personally I'd rather buy a bhs or monsoon dress as a cheaper alternative.

x x