Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Any vegi mum's with non vegi partners........

.......needing to make the decision/have made the decision to feed their baby meat/keep them vegi? I'm facing that dilema now and so don't know what to do! Hubby & family are meat eaters, me & my family are vegis, not really been a prob so far & I respect his right to do as he likes but the thought of giving lo meat upsets me. Hubby would like her to have meat & I just am not sure what to do! :roll: I want the best for my lo but confused as to what that is!!!! Any advice from anyone who's been in this position appreciated!! She's just started foods in the last month, is nearly 6 months old & has been loving the fruit & veg purees we've tried so far.

Replies

• Options
    Should say mums, not mum's, won't let me edit the title and grammatical mistakes I make annoy me!!! :lol:
  • Options
    Hiya,

We are the opposite to you, my hubby is vegetarian and im a meat eater (and both our families are meat eaters). It's not something we had discussed yet so I just asked him how he would feel about Tyler eating meat.

He said I know how he feels about eating meat but we agreed that we will give Tyler some meat and obviously it would be his decision when he is older if he would prefer to be veggie.

Not much help to you I know, but just thought I would advise on our circumstances image xx
  • Options
    I'm a veggie and my hubby isn't and we made the decision that our LO would have meat. I hate preparing it and have to get hubby to cut it up for me when I'm cooking it for purees (so far have only done chicken). When I see the raw chicken it makes me feel sick and I hate thinking that I'm feeding that to DD but I feel a bit better once it's cooked! I want her to have a healthy start in life and also be able to make the decision herself as to whether she eats meat or not but hubby and I have decided that if she chooses to go veggie, whatever age, we'll respect that.

xx
  • Options
    hey my DD is 3. Im a veggie OH isnt, we decided that we would give her both. Our opinion is that kids can be so fussy we didnt want to eliminate foods from the start. So we mix the two which works for us. Being Veggie was my decision at 6years old and we will leave it up to DD to make her decision as and when she wants to.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    I'm veggie (well actually I'm a pescetarian) an hubby isn't - my daughter is 9 1/2 months and loves her meat! I too thought it wasn't my choice to make Aila can make up her own mind when she's older. Hubby is hoping I'll start eating meat again but its not going to happen!
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I had already sort of decided I would give her meat and let her choose, as I did when I was 3, but it does make me a little sad to think of her eating it though. I'll just make sure she has the very best quality meat!! The only thing I'd be worried about is cooking it properly, as I've cooked it for hubby before but there's less worry about poisoning him as he has an iron stomach, and also, I won't be able to taste her meals so I won't know if they're good or not. Saying that, I've never had any complaints when cooking for hubs. I think he's thinking it might convert me too, it would be easier but I just couldn't face the thought of it!
  • Options
    Hey,

I am veggie and my husband literally only eats meat!

I have said that I don't object to the baby eating meat but that husband will have to prepare it as i'm not giving my baby something that I can't taste and check it's cooked properly.

So I'll make loads of veggie food packed in protein but if hubby wants to make a meaty dinner that's no problem to me xx
  • Options
    I'm a veggie and my husband is a meat eater, but I cook - so normally my husband has meat in his sandwiches at lunch time - then at dinner he eats what i make! or sometimes wil add a bit of meat to it. I never pureed anything for my daughter, and she could just pick and choose what she wanted to eat. She hardly ate any meat until she was well over a year, and now she really loves chicken, and most types of fish, but that is about all. She however also loves tofu, and chickpeas! basically any type of protein! So, even though my daughter was young, she was still choosing what she wanted to eat - and when she's older she will also be free to change her mind!
  • Options
    I didn't really like the thought of cooking it either to be honest - but I've got usedto it, I've been making her meals in batches to freeze. I tend to have a day where my mum comes to help me with AIla and I cook a whole load of stuff all in one day so I get the yuckiness out of the way!

I've been usin Annabel Karmel Baby & Toddler meal planner I've found the recipes very helpful as I wouldn't have been sure how to cook meat having only cooked Chicken twice for hubby, the meat is cut into small pieces so cooks quickly anyway and I just poke at it a bit to check its cooked right through, Hubby has tasted a couple of her teas and has said they're nice they haven't tempted me though...
  • Options
    I'm strict veggie and husband and both families eat meat. My twins (10 months) eat meat and it really upset me, but now I just don't think about it.

I believe a veggie diet gives me all the nutrients I need, but also, felt that I'd have to do a lot of thinking to make sure the babies got all they need, plus pulses etc are hard to digest & my son already has tummy trouble.

Anyway, i was determined I'd only feed them the best, no jars etc. I bought some organic lean mince to batch cook and it was AWFUL. Truely stunk out the house, I was stressed about not cooking things properly and it cost loads!

Some of the more expensive jars are actually very good. No crap, organic etc. So the meat I give them is the jarred/pouched organic kind, or bits of good quality cooked meat only.

I will feed them a good veggie diet several times a week too and will let them choose when they're older.
  • Options
    Hi

I'm a vegi but my husband isn't, however his mum is. He was brought up vegi until he was about 7, he ate meat for a while, became vegi again as a teenager and then started on the meat again a couple of years later.

We have talked about it and decided not to give Noah meat, as it didn't harm my husband not having it and it will save us preparing 2 separate meals as DH is happy to eat vegi food and it gets expensive cooking two different things. At 1st it was a bit of a battle coming to an agreement, but in the end we decided that when Noah starts school he can choose for himself what to eat and he will be old enough to understand the choice.
  • Options
    I'm veggie, since I was 4, because I don't like the taste or texture. I love the smell and wish I liked eating it as my life would be so much easier! OH is a meatie, though he was veggie until he was 16 as he had hippie parents. He went on meat when he became a chef. I personally do not want a vegetarian child. It's his/her choice of course in the end so I'd not force the issue as they got older, but the lack of protein and iron and things can't be great for a very young child and I don't want to breed any food hangups.

Although I'm not a moral vegetarian, we do buy ethical meat and will continue to, hoping to educate any meat eating children that meat isn't something they need every day (the attitude that we do or should seems to have occurred in the last 20 years and is perpetuated by cheap and poor quality meat). My husband used to be a chef anyway, so is a major foodie; I don't think he'd let me get away with forcing vegetarianism on any of our kids as he'll have an excuse to cook more meat! :lol: