Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

preparing night feed bottles.....

Hi Ladies

looking for some advice please on night time bottle feeding.

My lo is 3 days old and so far we have been using pre-bottled formula, however i have now run out so will be making up from poweder.

At the hospital i was told i could not make up bottles in advance as the milk would go off and would upset babies tummy. So i just wanted to know if everyone sticks to this as it does mean getting up and boiling the kettle, then letting it cool for 30mins before making up the bottle?

Or do you make up this bottle before going to bed?

I know that when my sister had her baby just 7 years ago the advice was different and you could make up bottles in advance.

Don't want to make lo ill but at the same time would like to make things as easy as possible for us both!

xx

Replies

• Options
    This is what I do hun:

Pour half the amount of water needed using freshly boiled water, then add milk powder to make it sterile, then I add the remaining amount of water from a beaker of previously cooled boiled water stored in the fridge. I have found half and half make the perfect temp but see what your lo prefers. This has been so quick and easy that making up bottles seems pointless!

xxx
  • Options
    We used to take a flask of boiled water, one of the little milk powder dispensers and the bottles up to bed and just make them up as we needed. We would cool them down in the sink whist changing dd nappy ect.

It worked well for us.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Hi,

We were also told by the midwives at the hospital not to make up bottles in advance. The first night home though, I just couldn't see how it was going to work if we didn't! I spoke to the HV and since my LO was born, we have made all her bottles up the night before. We make them up as normal, let them cool down, then pop them into the fridge. When she needs one, I pop it in the bottle warmer for about 3 mins - perfect amount of time to change her bum etc.

When they are newborn, they give you no warning when they are going to need fed, and if your baby is anything like mine, she will be screaming the house down until she gets a bottle!

My LO is now nearly 8 months, and we still make all her bottles up in advance.

The only thing to add is that the bottles should be stored right in the fridge, not in the fridge door, as. The temp changes at the door, seen as it's opened and closed all the time.

Hope that helps you make a decision! Xxx oh, and congrats on your new baby! Xxx
  • Options
    I did the same as Ruckie5, made all the bottles up that I needed for the next day and stored them in the fridge. You need to let them cool down to room temperature before putting them into the fridge though.

My lo is now 11 months and i've been doing it from the beginning. She now only has 1 bedtime bottle which i'm just starting to phase out altogether.

There are pros and cons to every way of making up bottles. Making up them in advance was perfectly acceptable a couple of years ago and i personally can't see how it was fine then and not now.

Obviously you don't want to make your baby ill, but i've never had any problems. Just warm them up in a bottle warmer or jug of hot water when needed.
  • Options
    We did exactly the same as perfectdaughter after we stopped breastfeeding. Long story as to why I have, but if you taste a freshly made bottle and then a warmed up bottle there is a massive difference, its a very rare occurance that we reheat a bottle. x
  • Options
    i use to make up bottles in andvance for both my girls. i would sertilise and make up bottles as normal,cool them down under cold tap and then put then=m in back of fridge, then pop botle ina jug of hot water (we had a tefal one cup for instant hot water)to warm it up. as long as you dont keep bottles for too long in fridge. this use to be the advise when i had my first daughter anyway and when i had lizzie mw asked me if i knew how to make bottles and i said yes and i know the advise has changed but i will be sticking to the old rules and she said it was fine.

• Options
    i steralise the bottles and then pour about 2/3 of feed ofthe cool boiled water in all the bottles and leave at room temp. when i need a bottle i boil fresh water and add to the bottle and then add the powder. i have done this from birth and never had any probs. (she has 9oz so i pour in 7oz and then top up to 9oz at the feed!!)

when my son was born (hes now 6) i used to make the bottles fully cool and then put in fridge and he was fine.

you will find your own routine of what works for you hun.

my lo was more than happy to drink room temp bottles too!!

congrats on your little arrival

• Options
    I always make up the water in the bottles the night before and take them up with the powder already measured out into little pots so I just have to add them and feed - no wait. My daughter always had bottles at room temperature right from the start, I never saw the point of heating them up and never had any problems. She would even have bottles from the fridge at times.

H xx
  • Options
    I do exactly what MummyJC does and take a flask up to bed with the boiling water in, always worked well for us.

xxx
  • Options
    thank you ladies. It is reassuring to get the benefit of what others do in the face of impractical official advice!