Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Question about shingles/ chicken pox

Hello all,

I have a dilema, my hyusband was diagnosed with shingles on Friday. The doctor said our baby (9 weeks) is safe as I have had chicken pox and she is breastfeed.

We have been invited to a christening today, hubbie obviously won't be going but I'm not sure what to do about baby, she is well in her self,no temp etc... and from what i understand chicken pox is only contagious when blitstering, but i don't want to alarm anyone. Should I take baby or not?

Thanks

Becky

Replies

• Options
    Tough call, to a certain extent baby should be picking up some immunity through your feeding but the point when contagious is the 3wks prior to the scabs and blisters appearing also. You are only considered non-contagious once all blisters have scabbed over. Personally I'd advise that baby may have come into contact with the disease and let others be prepared to look out for signs.
  • Options
    I believe chicken pox is most contagious for the 48 hours before the blisters appear until they scab over. Do you know if there will be any other very young babies or pregnant women there? It sounds as though she should be immune and therefore no risk but I'd avoid close contact with anyone who is pg just in case. X
  • Options
    I would go as long as she isn't showing any symptoms. Basically she probably won't get it and you could repeat this whole process 10 times over the next few years if you don't take her out every time she comes into contact with someone with chicken pox. I'm totally against deliberately exposing your child to chicken pox but I also don't think you should avoid every social contact for 3 weeks. Just don't let any pregnant woman hold her.

Enjoy your day,

H xx