Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Will I be able to go to my friends Wedding - baby will be 2 months

Hey looking for some advice. My Friend is getting married early December and although its not too far from where we live its at a country house hotel and most of the guests will be staying.

All going well I will have a 2 month old by that point but as a first time mum I just don't know what to expect. I hope to be breastfeeding although this may not work out or I supose by that point I may have introduced a bottle.

What can I realisticaly attend? I need to respond and book before baby arrives.

I know its difficult to say as everyones different.

Do you think staying over at hotel on the Sat night with a baby at that age would be too difficult. would it be too tiring to go to a whole day wedding anyway. Would you have left your baby with grandparents for a few hours or overnight that early?

Thanks D

Replies

• Options
    I recall having got into a bit more of a routine when my dd was two months, so I was better able to anticipate when she needed feeding and sleep etc. However, she was still taking quite a long time to feed at that point (she was bf) and I didn't feel fully confident with it until she was about 12 weeks old.

We didn't stay overnight anywhere until she was about 3 months when we went on holiday for a week.

I wasn't able to leave her with anyone else at that age as I was bf and she wouldn't take a bottle. Plus my boobs would have burst if I'd have skipped a feed!

You won't really know until closer the time (not very helpful I know!), but as long as they're able to accommodate somewhere for you to bf and you take your pram or a sling for baby to nap in during the day you should be fine xx
  • Options
    I reckon you'll be fine babies that age are so portable. If you're bf and not confident you can always use your room or get a nice big shawl (i found attaching discretely the hardest thing to master at first but if you can get them on then cover with a shawl then you'll be fab. Plus if you wanna introduce a bottle 6-8 weeks is the recommended time so you could always express (takes a bit of practice). At 2 months dd would sleep anywhere, I'd follow bedtime routine and put down in her pram if out x
  • Options
    thank you for your replies.

I've had a lot of offers from well meaning grandparents to look after little one but I just don't think I could do it so early. Bfing is a good excuse to refuse their offers - didn't know that it would be uncomfortable not to feed so thanks for the info.

I am definately looking at a feeding scarf thing as I am totally not confident about feeding in front of people.
  • Options
    We went to a wedding when my LO was 5 weeks and it was fine, I did spend quite a bit of time in the room at the hotel but we managed to have the meal etc as she just slept in the pram by the table.

I'd say go for it! x
  • Options
    I say yes!!

My best friend got married when DD was 8 weeks old & I was bridesmaid. DD was getting into a good routine, slept through the service was awake for photos & meal. Then she fell asleep just in time for the dancing & she slept in the same room that it was happening in. We were staying at the hotel as it was too far to travel home, we asked for a trave cot but in the end she slept in her pram & it was the first time she slept for 9 hours straight!

I was BF & had expressed enough to do her while I was busy with my duties, but BF her the rest of the day.
  • Options
    It will be no bother for the baby at that age, as has been said, they are very portable. I BF DD and wouldn't have left her with anyone at 2 months, as I wasn't expressing yet. Presume it's ok to take baby with you to this wedding?

Agree about missing a feed, first time I left DD for any length was for a wedding when she was about 5 months. I fed her before we went out at noon and then she had expressed milk for the rest of her feeds during the day. I remember being on the dance floor towards the end of the day and it was a good job the lights were dim because I had totally leaked everywhere, dress was way too tight round my boobs by this point! Got back to the hotel at 1am or so and had to feed DD immediately just for the relief!

I think you will be fine; there will be somewhere discreet for you to feed when you need to, and at 2 months hopefully baby will be asleep most of the time!
  • Options
    When amber was very small a waiter once said 'they are hand luggage at that age' and he was so right! As soon as weaning begins you realise how easy you had it as a breastfeeding mother! All you need when u go anywhere is a nappy and a boob!
  • Options
    Thank you so much I feel so much better about it now.

I did speak to the bride about the baby as I wanted her to know we would be happy whatever she decided and that we certainly wouldn't be upset if baby wasn't invited. I know kids at weddings isn't always a great combo but she really wanted me to bring lo if I was happy to. We will sit the back or near and exit just incase as we wouldn't want to disturb her day.

I think if we plan to stay then we will have a room for bfing or going to if baby is upset. Then in the evening just take turns being the in the room with baby.

Really gald I can go though I would have been sad to miss it all.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    glad you've made a decision you're happy with image!! honbestly tho you will prbs find baby will sleep in the midst of the disco if they are in a carry cot or pram so neither you know OH will miss out x
  • Options
    I am due on Sat (although no movement yet) and had the same questions... i have got a wedding to attend on 24th Sept so baby could be between 3-5 weeks old and i was wondering what to do. We have decided to go for it and if it gets too hard then just accept that it didnt work and heaad home. The bride and groom are happy with this plan too as they really want us to be there but accept that it may not be possible to last for the whole day. We are hoping to at least attend the church and reception but may not last out for evening party.

Mainly worrying about myself (rather than baby at this stage- as you said they are very portable and need feeding, sleep and changing which is all do-able~) especially if the birth doesnt go to plan, i assume i could still be quite fragile and sore?!!

• Options
    If you have a straighforward labour you should be fine by then- I had episiotomy and dd was born by forceps but by the time hubby went back to work I was back to my old self (if slightly more padded lol) obv C-section would be different x
  • Options
    TBH, I think it's one of those things where you won't know until the time comes. I found it really hard going anywhere for more than a couple of hours when I was BF and my baby was that young. Just found it stressful (because of the BF) and hated too many people touching my baby! Maybe it's just my personality, but I did find it stressful. I just couldn't wait to get home whenever I went anywhere. Saying that, I am quite unsociable!! Like I can't stand being around too many people at once or too many people in my house at one time. Maybe it's just me! x
  • Options
    I went to a wedding with Ben when he was 5 weeks and then this time we went to one on his second birthday when his little sister was 2 weeks old. YOu will cope.

(Oh and both were born by section)
  • Options
    sorry gcrashing but lambchop, i have loads of q's. I'm bm for my best friend about 8 weeks after due date. How did you get on with dress fittings and things? And did you make her hen night? Thats my 2 main worries! Hoping to bf as I did my ds, but figured that would be ok, and would just express some milk for dh for while i'm v busy x