Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Teething??

My boy is 14 weeks old, and was a really good sleeper since he came home, only getting up once between 11 and 6. We follow a pattern during the day which is he wakes up, eats, has some activity time, then has a sleep, feeding roughly every 3-4 hours. He also started sleeping 7-10 hour stretches overnight. This was all fab until he had a tummy bug a few weeks ago. Because of this he was getting up twice a night, i believe to replace lost fluids, and i was giving him extra daytime feeds also to make sure he was ok. His tummy bug went, but then he suddenly started getting up every 2 hours overnight. At first i thought he was just having a growth spurt, so went with it, but it's now been going on for 2 weeks, and i think it might actually be the start of teething. He has been dribbling constantly, and wanted to bite down on things for a few weeks, but i can't see or feel any sign of teeth. Last night i decided to test him, and didn't offer him food when he started crying, i just gave him a cuddle and he went back to sleep. So i think he's waking up at the same times as he used to, but is in pain so can't resettle himself like he used to. He's also not sleeping as long in the day, and wakes up crying, instead of his normal happy self. image

Does this sound familiar to anyone, and if so can you tell me how long it might last, coz the poor little mite isn't happy, and me and hubby are knackered!!

Replies

• Options
    Sounds like teething. Have you tried any of the teething medicines? Calpol helps with pain, but there is also gels that you can rub on their gums and teething powders, the parsons ones are supposed to be really good. x
  • Options
    ashtons and parsons teething powders are great for upset babies that are teething and last year we found anbesol which is far better than bonjela! we did find with both babies the 12 and 16 week growthspurts pretty much murged into each other x
  • Options
    I gave him calpol before bed the other night, and have tried a teething gel, but he was still up all night. The problem is the gel only lasts a couple of hours anyway so will be wearing off by the time he starts stirring in his sleep cycle. Can't use the powders as they contain lactose and he's intolerant!

Piggypops, can i ask what you mean by the growthspurts running into one another, what behaviour your babies showed during them?

Last night he slept from 7.15-11.45, which is the longest sleep in one go he's had in weeks, but then after that was still up at 1, 2 and 4.

xxx
  • Options
    Does he have a Dummy? Maybe he is just waking for that. My daughter spits her dummy out when asleep and lasts a while before she wants it again. When she stirs and make noise I put it straight back in and she sleeps again. When she was teething a couple of weeks back she cried everytime the dummy came out. This has settled down again. I also find that she sleeps better with her blanket close to her face so she sleeps in her sleeping bag and I put her blanket around the bars of the cot with only a bit sticking out so she can lie against it. This helps her sleep longer. My other daughter has a comfort blanket as well and she is now 4 and loves it.
  • Options
    Hi, just saw this on the front page. My little one is 2 1/2 and suffered a lot with teething. It seemed to come and go, I'd have short runs of night waking and poor naps and then longer ones too. I know how tiring it is. I found neurofen when it was very bad and would recommend teething necklaces/bracelets. I thought it sounded ridiculous when I read about it but was willing to try anything. I got mine off little acorns website. Good luck and hope you get some sleep! X
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation - little one 16 weeks and already has 2 front teeth and others coming through at the back. He only seems to be bothered by them in the last week though so there's lots of dribbling, screaming and he can't settle.

My LO can't have lactose either so I bought a MAM teether that I put in fridge and when I sense he's bothered by them I give him that then I go onto bonjela (but to be honest think he dribbles that out pretty quickly)then when screaming starts it's calpol I'm afraid.

Have asked at pharmacy but only lactose free options are bonjela and dentinox and dentinox has sugar in.

oh, I did try a bib in the freezer and he loved chewing that but quickly cools down.

It's a tough time but feels too soon to me - I wasn't prepared!!!

:lol: