Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

newborn feeding hungry baby milk?

i havent posted here for ages but need some help and advice,

My little boy is now 4 weeks old and doing really well. the only problem we have is he is always hungry. he will take a 4oz bottle then 1.5-2 hrs later he is crying and looking for food. this has been going on since he was about 1 week old so cant be a growth spurt. if i feed him after 2 hours then he will only drink an oz or 2 max, then will be looking for a bottle again after an hour or so and then this snacking will carry on unless we can hold him off for the full 4 hrs. his bottles contain 5oz of which he will drink 4oz so i cant just give him more as he is full and wont take anymore. its not a comfort thing as i offer a dummy but after a few sucks he spits it out in disgust as its not food.

the only way to get him to go 3.5-4 hrs is to cuddle him for around 2 hrs so that he stays asleep then he will take a full 4 oz. this is hard enough with just 1 but with a 3 yr old aswell its impossible.

any ideas? would he benefit from hungry baby milk? when can they have the hungry baby milk, i know the tin says from birth but is it ok to use so early?

Replies

• Options
    we used hungry baby from 8 weeks as he was taking so much he was vomiting and still hungey, we also think he may have had reflux but the docs wouldnt hear of it! its worth a go, you shouldnt mix them though and he may become constipated so whatch out for that, we gave water for that.

hope he settles soon, its tough with a toddler too!
  • Options
    g/c I combo fed and used hungry baby milk from about 3/4 weeks but can use it earlier. The only advice the HV gave me was that it might make them a tad constipated and if this happened add a touch more water than you normally would (literally a touch). Give it a go it cant hurt- I found at night this settled DD much better than the normal one. Also found Aptamil easier on her tummy that SMA or C&G x

ETA I'd use regular for any day time bottle feeds and hungry for night time feeds x
  • Options
    Any chance it could possibly reflux?

My LO has silent reflux (so very rarely sick) but he likes to feed as it soothes. He's 4 months now but at the beginning he would go 2 hours between feeds but from about 1 and a half hours he would start showing signs he wanted to feed again.

I went down the hungry baby route pretty early on for this reason then we saw other signs and by 7 wks he was diagnosed with reflux.
  • Options
    I was also going to suggest reflux but you're probably sick of me saying that. Sorry.

H xx
  • Options
    My little one was like this for the first couple of weeks but once he started taking 5/6 oz in one go he began to go longer.....I stressed so much about it and tried hungry baby milk but nothing worked. In the end I fed on demand and slowly he worked it out for himself. He now has 5/6 bottles a day at 6 oz and is sleeping through. It took me a while but just go with your baby and he will work it out. Hope you have success....x
  • Options
    If it is reflux the hungry baby milk should be easier to l

Keep.down.cos its heavier x