Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Maternity entitlement if leaving job?

Hi Ladies,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place here. Just thought there may be some mothers in here with some words of wisdom for me.

I returned to work in June 2011 (part-time)when J was 10 months old. I am now really struggling with the workload- seems even worse now I am part-time & it just does not feel like it is worth all the hassle!! I know that things would be tighter financially for us if I were to leave work but I feel that I would rather miss out on the luxuries than just be a stressed out wife & mother!

Anyway we are planning another baby this year. We started trying after Xmas (fingers crossed) and I am wondering how long to try & stick work out for. I was contemplating handing my notice in at around 8 months pregnant but then was not sure if I would not get any maternity pay? Am I better off waiting until I am officially on maternity leave? I would have to ensure that I did not get paid any additional maternity pay. I work for a local authority so would also be interested in their career break scheme but not sure how this works. Our HR dept is rubbish!!!

I know I have waffled on a bit here but I don't feel like I can speak openly to anybody at work!!

Has anybody got any advice that they could pass on.

Thanking you in anticipation!!!

xxxx

Replies

• Options
    I work for LA too. Is your maternity policy on your intranet, or do you have a copy from last time? Not sure what the cut off number of weeks is, but i would stick it out until the earliest you can start your mat pay, then don't spend the extra you'd be expected to return, and hand your notice in before the mat leave year is out. You'll get the mat pay then.

I'm kind of having similar thoughts. Bubs is only 4 months, and i'm having a year off, but hoping to be preg before he turns 1. Really wanted to just work the 3 months so i can keep my extra mat pay, then give up, but wondering if it's best to stick it out so i get mat pay for the next one. It's going to kill me going back, i feel sad about it already, as i know they're not going to let me go part time, (although haven't asked yet so still have a smidgen of hope!). xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for that hun. I will have to try and dig my old mat policy out. Have just read somewhere that even if you hand notice in when you are 25weeks pregnant then you should still be entitled to statutory maternity pay. I have also read somewhere that if you are unemployed you can claim maternity allowance for 39weeks- not saure if you still get this if you have resigned from your job though.

Will have to do some more digging. just waiting for 2ww now so fingers crossed!!

xx
  • Options
    You can start maternity leave from the time you have to tell your employer you are pregnant which is 15 weeks before you are pregnant so you could work up until 8 month pregnant and start mat leave then.

If you declare you are to leave work at that point you won't get the additional maternity pay just 90% for 6 weeks then SMP, I am not sure how it works with a career break Don't forget if you are employed you will also accrue annual leave days and pay which you won't if you have left.

If it was me I would work until knowing you were pregnant go on mat leave and then see what your options are from there