Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Travel with a baby - help please!

So, I'm going down to London next week, just me and my 6.5 month year old. Trying to decide the best way to get there!

The options are:

Car - it's a 3 hour journey but we've got to be there by midday (Islington) so we'd prob have to set off quite early to ensure we're there in time. However, it does mean I can just throw everything in the boot. Not done such a long car journey with him though, and he def won't sleep the whole 3 hours so might get grumpy.

Train - i've not braved train travel with a baby yet! I'd really like to take the pram so he's got somewhere to sleep during the day if he needs to, but it doesn't fold up very small, or easily so not sure how i'd store it myself, while holding the baby! I could take him in a sling but then i'd have to carry him all day and he's a heavy lump! Also if the train is busy we'd both be squashed into one seat.

Writing this down driving does look like the better option, but what are other people's experiences of train travel with a young ish baby?

Thanks,

xxx

Replies

• Options
    I went to London when dd was about the same age. My hubby did come, but if I was going again by myself the same way... But it took some debating for us to decide how to manage it.

We took the train, and used pram. We travelled in the disabled carriage so there was plenty of room for others round us.

In London we took the tube once and i put dd in sling for that and folded the pram. Obviously i had hubby to carry it, not sure if I'd have managed that alone but if not I would have just got a taxi instead.

Also, i abandoned my usual changing bag for a backpack which was so much easier for the day.

Hope that helps, I found station staff etc very helpful to us on that day so it might be easier than you think. X
  • Options
    I have travelled by train alone with my baby (now 7 months) several times for journeys up to 3 hours. I've taken pram & sat in disabled/bike/pram access section. I've been to LOndon but not used underground with him. Biggest frustration has been being limited in how much stuff I can take & on one occasion there were problems with trains so we were delayed. I've breast fed on train without problems too. Driving is more convenient however as can stop when you want/need, take what you want etc. That said I've only done car journeys with husband as he's the driver & we've never driven into london.

Good luck image
  • Options
    Hi

Personally I would drive my parents live a couple of hundered miles away and I have always drove even when Isabelle was only a couple of weeks old she is now 6 months.

That way you can take all the stuff you need without any fuss.

You can always stop for a break if the baby gets grumpy.

I think I would find taking public transport a lot more stressful at least if you drive you can take it at your own pace.

Good luck with the journey

Annie
  • Options
    I think driving through a car is a good option because if any case you are not comfortable then you can stop the car. Additionally you can opt for some toys for your kids and can maintain all necessary stuff without any hassle. image