Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

advice on shared care aft previous 10lb baby

Just wondered what to expect from my shared care? In Oct 2009 i had Ds2 who was 10lb1. This time i am listed in my notes as shared care. I know i should have extra scans to check babys growth. However has anyone any experience on the birth i might be offered. I had spontaneous labours with both my boys and with born naturally. The idea of a c sec scares the Hell out of me. However someone said that she had never heard if early induction for big babies, just elective c sections! So any advice/experience would be good. I do not want to go through what i did aft Ds2 delivery. Hubby thought he had lost me! Thanks Xxx

Replies

• Options

I was rushed in for emergency induction with my boy because of polyhydramnious (extra waters) - I had him naturally weighing 9lb 10oz (not huge but 3lb bigger than my daughter).  I was 39 weeks and managed with gas&air and an episiotomy.  The labour itself was hard but not too bad.

Charlie had a rare genetic condition which caused both his large size and the polyhydramnious.  Through this I know a lot of women who have had inductions for large size babies, some of those inductions have ended up in c-sections (I was prepared) and some didn't.  One woman I know very well was induced at 36 weeks because of her son's size - he was born 9lb 6oz (4 weeks early!).

Good luck and hopefully this baby will be a bit smaller,

H x 

• Options
    My daughter was on time, 9lb 8oz born and I managed with just gas and air. My ds was 11lb 9oz, induced and natural birth. I am now pregnant with baby number 3. After my ds the midwife told me that if my 3rd baby was going to be as big then they would induce me early or elective section, and would have extra growth scans. I'm at the midwifes for my booking in appt on 23rd so am sure will be given more info then. So early induction is possible xx
  • Options

hi, they would only really be concerned if you had struggled to deliver your babies naturally - if they fitted through your pelvis and were born ok then a third bubba will do the same! you dont say what happened that was traumatic at your DS2's delivery - if it was a shoulder dystocia (where head arrives but they cant get the shoulders and body) then they will be twitchy and wont want you to birth such a big baby again. if what happened at the birth was unrelated to the baby's size and he came through ok they wont worry too much.

they will only lean toward caesarean if the baby seems extremely big and to deliver vaginally at a normal size would mean inducing a pre term baby. otherwise they will be keen to induce instead and help you birth vaginally,

but as i said if you birthed two good sized babies before from spontaneous labours and they came out without getting stuck, they'll just scan to monitor the growth and be on the safe side and probably trust nature x

• Options
    I has Ds2 in the birthing pool. Fast labour only 6hrs. Amazing birth. But had retained placenta and bled out afterwards needing a blood transfusion. Wasn't fun! image see consultant aft 20w scan. Xxx
  • Options
    Oh and Ds1 was born at 37w and 8lb2. I always dreaded how big he would have been if he had gone full term! Xxx
  • Options
    They say on average babies put on half a pound a week, so you probs would have had a similar weight x
  • Options
    Hi nimmy! My DS was 9lb8oz Bon at 40+4 so he could have easy been 10lb overdue, I'm very worried about birth this time as although he did 'fit' my consultant (who actually delivered my son) said that it became forceps as his head just would not come down and my bed was lowered head end and he needed some serious coaxing out with pulling as she 'wasn't going to allow it to be shoulder dystocia' I'm hoping to have a natural birth but I'm hoping they will keep an eye on growth as although terrified of c sec the first week after my sons birth was horrendous for both of us recovery wise. Sorry for the ramble, hoping you get the care you're after xx