Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Itchy breasts when reducing breast feeding...

Hi Ladies,

I'm posting in Baby rather than Breast feeding as I thought women who have stopped feeding may not look in there.

My LO has been demand breast fed since birth (now 11.5 months) and in the last 1-2 months has reduced his feeds intially dropping the morning feed, then afternoon and now has his bedtime feed and some nights a feed in the night but not always. For a few days now i've begun getting itchy breasts, it comes and goes. I don't think it's mastitus as i have no other symptoms (ie temperature, redness etc). I suspect it's a symptom of the physical changes in my body due to reduced milk production or possibly linked to having recently stpped the mini pill and everything is adjusting back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Linds image 

Replies

• Options

Hi,

This sounds like thrush.  If so it can pas between you and your baby.  It won't harm your baby but can make their mouth uncomfortable and you very itchy.

I would see your GP and they will presribe cream or gel to treat.  If it isn't thursh perhaps you can ask more about the feeding?

I had thrush after a course of antibiotics and it got very uncomfortable in the end.  A BF counsellor recommended the following to read: http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BfN_Thrush_leaflet_Feb_2009.pdf

Good luck x