Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My baby is not drinking her milk

Hi my I'll girl is 3 months old and she is not drinking her milk much she is only on 3oz and sometimes does not even drink all that I also have to wake her up at night or she would just sleep she just interested in milk wats so ever I am really worried she is not putting enough weight on she as already gone down a line on weight chart anyone got any ides on wat to try I have ordered some mam bottles to see if that help but don't no I am at my wits end

Replies

• Options
    Hi. Its horrible when your baby won't feed and loses weight. You can't help but worry. My no 4 was exactly the same. How many feeds a day will she take? Is she showing any other symptoms? Colic, temperature, tummy ache - bringing her knees up to her tummy, or arching her back? I would book an appointment with the Dr and have a diary (maybe 2 or 3 days worth) showing when she feeds, what she does at each feed (eg cry, turn her head away, gag on milk) and how she is in between feeds. I really do think you need to get medical advice x

In the mean time, what size teat are you using on the bottles. Some babies don't like the slow flow ones. My son (no 3) was a particularly lazy feeder and didn't want to work that hard for the milk so he was on fast flow teats from very early on. It could be with slow flow teats she has to work harder and ends up taking in more air and gets tummy ache as a result. Even if they are hungry, babies learn very early on to avoid the bottle if they associate it with pain.

The type of bottle can make a difference too so your idea of trying new ones is a good one. No 4 couldn't get on with the tommee tippee ones that simulate breast feeding whereas no1 - 3 could only use them. So they are all different! image

You haven't said whether you have tried colic remedies such as infacol or colief. Thecolief is expensive but you can ask for it on prescription. The infacol works by helping to get rid of trapped wind, the colief helps to break down the lactose in the milk making it easier to digest. Both work, but again depends on the baby. I'd try infacol first just because its cheaper.

I hope things improve soon for you and your little one.

Nicola x