Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Whooping cough vaccine

Also posted in DIJ.

Hi all,

When I went for my 25 week midwife appt she mentioned that I could have the whooping cough vaccine from 28 weeks onwards to help protect baby from WC during the first couple of months of his/her life due to outbreak. I obviously don't want my baby to get WC and the thought of the baby suffering (and perhaps even worse) because I didn't try and protect him/her is a horrible thought. I agreed to get the vaccination and am booked in for 3 weeks time.

However, since then, my husband mentioned the vaccine to my mil and she has gone off on one. She says that she never had it with any of her kids, and my sil didn't have it with her two so she doesn't see why I should need to get it done. She told me loads of horror stories of people she knew who had vaccinations during pregnancy and there were horrible resulting consequences to the baby. At the same time she told me how my bil had had WC as a baby and turned blue and was hospitalised twice because of it. 

I looked on internet for advice and when I read the nhs's advice I was all set to ignore her but then I came across a thread from a number of mothers who had lost babies within days of getting the WC vaccination (most likely coincidental). I am not normally a hysterical person but I feel so utterly torn and frightened by what I should do. Husband is of no use...he said I should listen to my mil...and then do what I think is best. I just want to curl up and hibernate until the baby is born and is old enough to have its vaccinations. I feel so annoyed with my mil for scaring me when I was all set to just get vaccinated, particularly when in the same anecdote she is telling me to both have the vaccine and not have the vaccine.

Did everyone/anyone in here have the vaccination? image