Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

lady came to my door claiming to be a midwife to see my baby.

ok so not much of a question but im a little scared.

this morning i was going about my business in the garden and someone knocked at my front door.... so i answered and it was a lady... she said MIDWIFE!!! i said ermmm no sorry...... she said but you do have a baby???? i said yea hes 9wks now... i dont see the midwife anymore and you are not my midwife... then she said this is 19 breakfield (my address) i said yes it is but i dont see the midwife anymore. i shut the door and she took off.....

at first i thought why are my clinic sending out a midwife. so i called them and asked. they hadnt sent out a midwife, she they took my details and said they would make a few calls then call me back. so they call me back and say they spoken to the hospital who have not sent out a midwife either and i need to contact the police.

so i rang the police who came out and asked what happened.... they said because she didnt know my name or my babys name but only my door number and street name she may have seen my newborn in the pram while i was out somewhere one day and followed me home.

so then the police said they were going to the clinic i go to. then the health visitor rang me to say shes been told whats happened asked if im ok and so on... said she has to ring all her patients with babys and warm them of the bogus midwife called, and the police are searching for her.

im so scared thinking what could have happened if i had let her in... or maybe im wrong and she is a midwife and got the wrong address..... but she was not in a uniform as such, no ID round her neck or pinned on her top, no baby scales. didnt know my name or the babys name... and the clinic and hospital confirmed they had not sent anyone to my address....

do you think she was really a midwife or someone crazy going to do something awful to my baby??? im really scared!

Replies

• Options

Sadly, there are some people out there that are that 'desperate' for a baby they will attempt to 'steal' one, that's why many newborns are tagged with security alarms at hospitals these days (one step off the ward & the hospital 'locks down').

You did exactly what you should have though, looked for ID (all genuine health staff should be able to provide this) & refused to let her onto your premises without knowing your name, the age & gender of your baby (if not baby's name they will have the birth on file so should know LOs gender & birthdate).

It's not nice having had to deal with this & I do hope you are feeling ok after it all.  Don't be afraid to talk to any of those you have spoken to today if you are still uncomfortable/nervy, you've been a victim of a scam & there is support available out there if you feel you need it. [Cyber Hugs]

• Options

Oh you poor love, what a horrible experience! Well done you for questioning her and not letting her in! what part of the country are you in? I'm pretty rural and prob naive and too trusting, i'd have probably let her in! Just stay vigilant hun, hope you're ok and this doesn't play on your mind and ruin these special early weeks xx

• Options

That is bloody terrifying, I'm so glad you had your wits about you and sent her packing! Well done on contacting all the right people. Lets hope they catch the woman and lock her up!

• Options

i live in the north east. im so glad i didnt let her in because i have no idea what she could have done!

• Options

How awful!! I'm so pleased you didn't let her in and called the police. I hope your ok now xx