Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone had success going cold turkey on dummy?

Hi I'm wanting to get rid of my lo dummy she is constantly waking up 8-12 times at night for repluging and only napping 45 min. I am afraid to get rid of it because she has now found her hands and is sucking her thumb or fingers and I'm afraid that she will resort to sucking her thumb to self soothe at night if we remove it and would like to avoid this. Its a personal preference so please don't be defend. Has anyone gone cold turkey and how did you go about it and how did your lo sooth themselves?  I'm hoping that her sucking her hands, fingers and thumb is temporary and maybe we can start then when it's less tempting. She will be 5 months and I don't know if I can wait it out until she can replug herself. I even thought of covering hand with mittens at sleep times but I'm afraid that once removed she will go after her thumb. Any suggestion and advice is greatly appreciated. Please don't think I'm been mean. Thanks 

Replies

• Options

I did it very early on about 8 weeks n she was fine, never had one since x

• Options
    My older two both had dummys and they were a lot older when I took them away so can't really help although my youngest sucks her finger and I'm worried its not going to be easy to stop
  • Options

I took my dd dummy away at 6 months and she was absolutely fine. You may have a week of transition but once you get over it you know you won't be having to get up constantly to replug! 

• Options

I took my daughters away couple days after her 2nd birthday as i always said she could have it until she was 2, she asked me for it once and i just sed well where is it?? Have you lost it? she looked about and cudnt find one so went to bed with her bottle of milk n fell asleep.  She then asked my mum for it once when she stayed there and then never asked anyone again.  I just used to give her a bottle of milk for bedtime to send her to sleep.  She found one a month or 2 later n walked into me with it, put it in her mouth made a face n gave me it! I had no trouble whatsoever xxx

• Options

Thanks for your replies... I'm still very anxious about it and afraid about resorting to thumb sucking.  Gingerpoodle how did you go about it and what did your lo soothe self to sleep? Did your lo have it during the day or was just at sleep time?. We started giving her during the day because of her sucking her thumb.  

• Options
    I have a friends who solely depended on the dummy to soothe their children up until the age of four...both children have a curved gum with full sets of teeth with a gap to accomidate the dummy when the jaws are shut. Dummies are not good for babies...it's not good for there stomach as it tricks the stomach into making acid for food their not getting....get rid of d dummy n be persistant...if they suck their thumb you can always remove there hands from there mouth to teach them sucking thumb is not gd.you would know the difference wen a child is sucking thumb for comfort or for theething. Go cold turkey. Dnt confuse the child ....coz babies will cry more for the dummy that you are giving now n then if you choose not to go cold turkey...it more upsetting emotionally for them that way and you will be prolonging the transition.gud luck
  • Options

My daughter never used to cry for it and she only had hers when she it was nap or bedtime xxx

• Options

I'm having a hard time during the day she is constantly going after her thumb or fingers if she doesn't have the dummy.I don't know what to do anymore I don't want her to have the dummy nor her thumb. The thumb is harder to break then the soother I know that at night I will be able to remove the dummy and cover her hands but she is also dependent on it durningthe the day how do I get her to forget about it and not resort to thumb any suggestions or ideas? They say it takes only 3 days at night to forget about the dummy what about during the day?