Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby cries out like in pain during feed

Hi everyone Just wondering if anyone can help My little one is 4 weeks on Monday (time has flew!!!) These past few days during her feed she will have some and then randomly cry out in pain. I always make sure shes winded during bits of her feed. At times though she likes to keep it back which can cause a problem so have been using infacol this week which has only helped a little. Just wondering if anyone no's what it could be? I mentioned it briefly to my doctor yesterday when i seen her but she didnt seem bothered. Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    Ive just done a quick google search and from another thread on a baby website this woman has put the same symptoms her 7 week has and shes put that she found out she has a milk protein allergy. So wondering if it could be this :/
  • Options

Try colief, it's 12 quid for a tiny bottle but if it works u should b able to get it on prescription. It contains enzymes that help break down lactose in the milk which apparently is the hardest bit to break down and causes belly ache. Worked a treat with lex and now she's been off it for like 4 weeks. Only downside is it makes their poo runny x

• Options
    Hi Haleigh,

Sorry to hear that your having a hard time with lil one feeding. It's horrible hearing them sound like they are in pain. I agree with Lh86 about using Colief instead of infacol it works so much better. What formula are you using sometimes changing brands helps I know a friend of mine swapped onto aptimil as it is broken down slightly differently and her lil one was so much better.

In terms of your 2nd post re an allergy my DD was diagnosed at 10 days old with a milk protein allergy and got to the point she would refuse her feed because she was in that much pain. My dd would projectile vomit during and after every feed was fussy and got hives and eczema. These would be things to be look out for with an allergy. Also keep an eye on her nappies the colour and consultancy of her poo can be an indicator of an intolerance as well as excess wind and bloating.

It is probably more than likely something like trapped/excess wind or colic. Another thing to look at would be changing the bottle or teat you are using. I had to use a faster flow teat with DD as she was sucking so hard she was swallowing air. I would say if your DR didn't seem concerned but your having problems book an appoitment with a diff Dr and go back. Trust your judgement. I found that DRs are very quick to put a label on you as a 1st time paranoid mum. If you have a HV give them a call aswell they are there to help. X
  • Options
    I agree with tink, try a faster flow teat, she could be just tiring herself out with the sucking and is getting annoyed that she's not getting enough Xx
  • Options

Yep forgot bout that, we use variflow teats so she can choose how much she wants to take. She had horrendous colic from 6 weeks, all night every night x