Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone experienced tonsillitus in little ones?

Hi all, 

A's had a lingering cold and been so cranky. Yesterday after she woke poorly with temp at 40-41 we visited out of hours gp and discovered that she has a bad case of tonsillitus :-( 

temp still 39c today but now being controlled with medicine whereas yesterday it wasn't really helping much. She has perked up bit she is not taking her antibiotic medicine well at all, hates it! I did disguise last one in a baby fruit purée pouch which isn't ideal but better than nothing. 

he she was awake lots last night. Due to go to preschool tomorrow but will keep her home.  

Anyone had any experience of tonsillitus in little ones? keep on hearing awful stories of  children ending up in hosp :-( how long did it take your little one to get better and how did they seem? 

Replies

• Options

O has had tonsillitis about 5/6 times now. Getting the antibiotics into him was a nightmare as it tastes so bitter. I used to mix it with a small amount of OJ to disguise the taste and he would take it. He would perk up on day 2/3 of his course of antibiotics so it's a bit of a waiting game, but he would be back to his normal self quite quickly.. Diflam spray is good for numbing the throat so he could at least eat something, but it's a case of giving lots of fluid and waiting it out.

• Options

L had tonsillitis at about fourteen months old. He was miserable while waiting for it to be diagnosed (gp and walk in centre both said a virus, a&e diagnosed on day three!) but once the antibiotics kicked in he recovered fairly quickly. We tried mixing the antibiotics with yogurt to improve the taste but it didn't work so we had to basically pin him down to force it into him, not nice to do but he obviously had to have it! We also gave regular doses of calpol/ ibuprofen. The biggest help for L was the Difflam spray that DS mentioned - he didn't eat at all and barely drank for three days but within ten minutes of the a&e nurse giving him the difflam he had drank a whole bottle of water and eaten two bananas and a packet of wotsits and had a huge grin on his face! I may have cried with relief at this point! I think it probably took a week to ten days to be completely back to normal, but after a couple of days of antibiotics he began sleeping properly again and then improved rapidly. Hope A feels better soon.