Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Newborn dry skin

Hi everyone.
My little man is 2 weeks old and has dry flakey skin on the from of his ankles and in the creases of his hands. He also has a cold bless him! Is it ok to just put sudocream on the dry bits?
Dx

Replies

• Options
    Olive oil is prob best hun, my MW recommended it and we've been using it very successfully.

xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Yes olive oil works a treat!! xx
  • Options
    We used organic sunflower / veg oil. Worked a treat.
    Boots sell a cream made by oilatum or something, they also do a bathing liquid, both got results very quickly x
  • Options
    Olive oil is best, or if you don't like the smell - the buritti range in bodyshop is natural (olive oil based) and smells scrummy - will be fine on new born skin. but I would avoid anything like Johnsons (even the top-to-toe) I used johnsons on Abby, and she developed such an awful rash - she looked like a burns victim! xxx
  • Options
    We were prescribed Oilatum - and it made it worse. So did hydromol, Aqueous cream, and diprobase.

Although hydrocortisone is good - but we don't like using it much, so save it for nasty flare ups!

xxx
  • Options
    Hello PP - congrats!!! What did you call him??

Olive oil is best - I believe Sudo can dry the skin even more.

My daughter had dry skin aswell and I only applid the olive oil twice and it cleared up after those two applications!!

Apparently you cant use olive oil near the eyes though. My lo had dry skin around her eyes but it has cleared up by itself. I did watch to make sure it wasnt getting sore (red) but it was fine.

I was told for the 1st 4 weeks do not use any lotions/bath wash etc as babys skin is so sensitive and thin. So be careful what you use.
    xx
  • Options
    My son was prescribed diprobase for his dry skin when he was a few weeks old.
    Huge congrats on the birth of your little man x x
  • Options
    Thanks ladies and hi Debbie and mrs Kb! We named him Harry. Will try the olive oil it sounds good. My birth story is in due in oct if you fancy a read. Although he was 9 days early. He weighed 6.3 image xx
  • Options
    my ds had this too when he was newborn and apparantly its completely normal but when ur a new mum u just don't do u. i asked hv and she said that it was where there skin is trying to get used to not being in the womb and coming into contact with allsorts all of a sudden, ie washing powder, air etc. olive is fantastic, honestly its an absolute must and i wouldn't be without it. try gently massaging it on the effected areas but do take care around his face. it's also the only thing i used for his cradle cap and worked miracles!.

congratulations, harry is absolutely gorgeous.

xx
  • Options

would baby work?