Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

pregnancy on fixed term contract?... (second baby)

Hi.. sorry me again!..
I was wondering if anyone can help!?

my baby is 2 months old and hubby and I really want to start trying for another perhaps in a couple of months time as we'd like them close together. The only problem is... Im on a fixed term contract and on maternity leave...
If i get pregnant again whilst on maternity.. do i have the same rights. Will i at least get SMP?

Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    Gosh, don't know I guess it depends when your contract is due to end. I know in order to get full SMP you need to be work around week 26 so as long as you were back by then perhaps you'd be OK. What happens at end of fixed term - do you have another job to return to? If so maybe they would pay the mat pay.
  • Options
    hi. my first was 10 months old when we planned and fell pregnant with our 2nd, he was 18 months old when oliver was born. as to regards to maternity rights they should all stay the same, your place of work can not discriminate against you for falling pregnant again whilst on maternity leave. good luck and a small gap is great, all 5 of mine have been born fairly close together. take care.xxxx
  • Options
    thanks ladies.. its great to speak to you again..
    Sorry i havent been here for a while.. but only just getting buba into a routine so ive actually got some time to myself.
    Its the first night he's gone to sleep by 8:30..!..

my contracts a bit of a tricky one actually as its a 'rolling' contract.. and will always be there as long as they need the post. Its never certain though. Perhaps its best to go back on part time hours and get answers from the personnel dept.

anyway.. great speaking to everyone again ! xx
  • Options
    hiya xx

i had mine close in age. I had daniel and then took 12 months mat leave (6 months paid & 6 months unpaid) then as I went back in the september as daniel was turning 1 year old we started trying again.

I got pregnant in the first month and left on mat leave the following may (2007) the baby is now 11 weeks old. I will be taking 7 months leave this time and will be going back in January 2008.

All my terms and conditions stayed the same. I did have a job as a manager of a shop before daniel, if i'd gone back after 6 months then they have to keep my exact job open for me with all bonus' and perks to stay the same. but as I went back after 12 months they don't HAVE to keep the same job open for me but they do have to offer me a job of the same responsiblity (ie. manager position not a superviser for example) and of equal pay & conditions (ie. a manager position but at a different shop)

is it a large company you work for? How long did you plan on taking for this lo? If you do get pregnant straight away again then I think it depend on when you go back. You could still claim maternity allowence if they don't pay out though.

take care xxx
  • Options
    I just read your reply and am sure 'rolling contracts' are not allowed anymore. If you've been doing it for more than 12 months they have to treat you as permanant.
  • Options
    Hi and thanks again ladies..
    unfortunately I asked about the rolling contract and because i work for the council and my specific job is funded by another organisation; my contract gets renewed on a yearly basis?.. until its not needed again.
    I did ask about my rights having it made permanant but they said its not the case?
    I thought the same... so thats why im trying to look into it early.
    Im planning on going back at about 9-10 months.. but only part time.

x
    thanks again ladies