Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bed Time help required..

My little one seems to be really grouchy from about 7pm till 10pm every day, he's almost 7 weeks old.

I'd like to start a bedtime routine soon, but I just don't think I could get him to bed around the 7pm-7.30pm time.

When I have tried bathing little one at around 6pm ish, then fed him, he then seems to cry on and off until about 10pm. He just doesn't want to sleep between these times. Any suggestions on what I can do to get him to settle?

He seems to have a sleep from about 3pm - 6pm, should I try and keep in awake then, or wake him say at 5 so he sleeps again around 7.30??

His early evening crying is starting to drain me!!

Leanne xx

Replies

• Options
    this crying WILL stop eventually xxx so just bear with him for the time being... I'd still stay with your bath routine before bedtime.. if you do it every day your lo will get used to it given time, some people will say you shouldn't wash a newborn everyday as it will dry out their skin but as long as you only use water and it's cip in and out then it's fine. I did it everyday and daniel had never had dry skin yet (he's now nearly 19months) does he sleep through the night yet? when does he have his last bottle for the evening? xx
  • Options
    Hi Wenders & Sassa... he doesn't sleep thru the night yet, although the other night he did go from 11pm till 6am which was great, I couldn't believe it. He's only done that once tho!! I try and give him his last feed between 10 - 11pm. He usually goes till atleast 4.30am, then again until 7.30am and again until about 9am if i'm lucky!
    He seems to love the bath, but doesn't like being taken out, screams the house down until hes dressed! I've only just started using johnsons night time baby bath and his skin is fine... makes him smell lovely too!!

Thanks for your advice, i'll stick with it and see what happens. He did go to sleep tonight at about 8pm for a bit, so hopefully thats a start.
    xx
  • Options
    I still use johnsons baby bath.. it is more expensive but it lasts for ages as you only need a little bit, and I love the smell too!! lol .. I use it too! I have also found it in the pound/cheapy shops too, so usually get a couple or when it's on offer in asda... :\)

he's not doing too bad for his feeds, before daniel slept through he would have his feeds the same as yours... he just started to miss his 4amish one on his own, then we started to dream feed his 11pmish feed about 10.30pm then he started to sleep through on his own after that... well he did till his teeth started to come through!!! heehee :\)
  • Options
    my lo is 4 moths and still having the same feeds as yours although for the past 3 nights I've had 6 hours from his last feed which can be anywhere from 22.30-00.30 depending on whether he wakes or I have to wake him and what I'm doing.
    My lo cried exactly the same as yours at roughly the same age he used to fall asleep occasionally but the minute I put him down he cried but it only last a few weeks I did start swaddling him. I also had/have the same bath routine (and he screamed getting out of the bath) but I use a baby lotion or oil to give a bit of a massage but also to stop his skin drying and he used to cry occasionally but now just lies there with dreamy eyes thinking he's in heaven!! Such a hard life he's got!!!!!!!!
    Persevere it will get better