Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A question to those who have experienced a m/c...

Before having Charlie I experienced 2 m/c's, a friend of mine said that maybe I couldn't carry girls and this thought has been with me since. I would love a sister (or brother) for Charlie in a couple of years but just wondered if anyone else knows if its true that certain women can't carry a certain sex??

Replies

• Options
    Never heard that before but I had a mc then fell pregnant with a wee boy. Now 6months. But I know some, on here too, have had mc and then had a girl. El Pinko is one, she had a mc at same time as me and Molly now 6 months. So it can happen. S x
  • Options
    I've never heard this? Might be worth asking an expert. If it is the case, which is unlikely then you can choose the sex before they implant the embryo into your womb. I just think it's one of those unfortunate things that can't be blamed on anything in particular. x x
  • Options
    the answer would be no in general.
    Maybe your friend is mixed up /thinking of the kinds of genetic diseases that are sex linked carried by boys in the main (like muscular dystrophy) however you would almost certainly know if there was a disease like this in your family
    HTH
  • Options
    I think this is a bit of an old wives tale. I had a very early m/c before I had Millie and I have since had one girl and one boy so I can obviously carry both.
    xxx
  • Options
    I have never heard of that before. I have had a mc but only have Frankie so dont know from personal experience if its true. My mum and MIL have both had miscarriages and both have children of both sex. I was told that most of the time a mc is because the embryo is deformed and does not bed in to the womb lining properly.
  • Options
    Never heard this, and it sounds like a load of rubbish to me. I had a m/c and had 1 of each. My auntie had a m/c and had one of each, as did my mum and again had 1 of each so I don't think theres any truth behind it.

xx
  • Options
    I was intrigued by this and have done some googling. Apparently there is an extremely rare condition that makes your body reject a baby because of sex but it only occurs when carrying boys. Therefore i you have had a boy you couldnt have that condition. I couldnt what it was called though.
  • Options
    I have heard of this before (not sure if old wives tale or not) I had a mc then I had a girl then another mc and then twin girls - so could be true for me ???
  • Options
    There is a very rare condition where a woman's immune system rejects the Y chromosome and therefore miscarries boys. However this is very unusual. There is also evidence that women who have had boys are more likely to miscarry either sex in the future because they have become hypersensitive to foreign DNA. However this is also very rare. More common are miscarriages caused by rejection of a rhesus positive baby by a rhesus negative mother butu medication should be given to avoid this.

First trimester miscarriages themselves are very common. Although heartbreaking they are usually caused because the foetus has chromosomal abnormalities and can't survive or grow properly. If it did survive it would be severly disabled. Most women have miscarriages at some point but often don't even realise because it happens within 2-3 weeks of conception, before you even miss your period. The chromosomes don't separate properly when the eggs or sperm are produced and cause problems in a similar way to the causes of Downs Syndrome. This is more common in older eggs and miscarriages are therefore more common in older mothers.

There are many other reasons for miscarriage, especially in later pregnancy but generally a single, early m/c shouldn't make any differences to your ability to carry a baby of either sex in the future.

Hope that helps,
    H xx

PS - I'm a BIology Teacher and have a particular interest in human physiology and disease.
  • Options
    i've had two, one just before i fell with Evie, my family also have a history and sometimes i worry that i won't be able to carry boys cause tha seems to be the way in my familyxxx
  • Options
    All v interesting.

I must say id thouht this i m/c a girl at 16 weeks and went on to have 3 boys.

am plsed to hear it was all in my head

xxDBxx
  • Options
    Thanks girls, reassuring to hear - not planning on having another just yet but it's always something thats played on my mind.xx
  • Options
    I had a problem free pregnancy with my son Zach but then i had a mc before conceiving Molly and then with her i had 2 threatened mc.

I have heard of this before but not sure. I think the mc i had may have been a girl as we did all the old wives tales to conceive one (which worked with Molly) but in the back of my mind i think it may have been a boy and because i really wanted a daughter i lost it.....who knows really.
  • Options
    Hope its an od wives tale. When we had our m/c I was and am certain he was a little boy. Then we had Alf so who knows. What ever the reason for a m/c it is still the hardest thing I've ever been through.
    Really hope we have the chance to have a little sister for Alf-goodness knows what he'd make of her!!
    Bx
  • Options
    its an interesting topic, i've never thought about not being able to carry a certain sex. i had a mc at 6 weeks then conceived Evie 6 weeks later. My mum had a mc then had my brother then me. It's probably something we will never know! xx
  • Options
    i had a m/c in feb and i have carried both, loads of problem carrying caitlin now 9 months though, bleeding, illness but i dont think it was cause she was a girl but suppose we will nver know.